The 6 Best German Study Abroad Programs

Global Internship

Studying abroad in Germany is a no-brainer. It’s affordable. It’s fascinating. And the country is teeming with students. No wonder it consistently ranks among the world’s top 10 study abroad destinations. 

If a German study abroad program sounds like something you need, know this: CIEE makes studying abroad in Germany easy. We offer courses as short as three weeks all the way up to semester-long programs. Experience the culture as a student or as a global intern. The vast options available may very well surprise you! 

Let's explore why you should study abroad in Germany, the 6 Best German study abroad programs, and how to study abroad in Germany. 

Why Should You Study Abroad in Germany? 

Germany is a cultural and industrial giant with a reputation for excellence. It’s no mistake that this country – which is the birthplace of the lightbulb, the world’s first car, the Petri dish, and tons more – bears the nickname “Land of Ideas.” It certainly gave rise to some big thinkers. Do the names Kant, Goethe, and Beethoven ring a bell? 

By studying abroad in Germany, you will of course have enviable access to the country’s rich, storied history that has helped shape European politics and art for more than 1,000 years. But your immersive experience won’t be all work and no play. Its picturesque streets, beautiful landscapes, and fabulous museums and theaters provide plenty of opportunities for you to get lost in the beauty and art of Germany. 

Where Should You Study Abroad in Germany? 

While we recommend exploring as much of the country as you can, while you can, the capital of Berlin is our favorite city for students. Its tumultuous and fractured history has paved the way for the Berlin that exists today: a diverse and rapidly growing city well-suited for creativity and innovation. A great locale for curious minds. 

And still, there is so much more to Berlin than its history, including the fact that there are many high-quality universities in the city. Study here and you will enjoy the company of thousands of other students, many local, and many expat. Your biggest challenge may just be narrowing down the best German study abroad program that suits your needs. So, let’s explore your options. 

ciee open campus block program in berlin

EXPLORE BERLIN

The 6 Best German Study Abroad Programs 

CIEE offers six study abroad programs of varying lengths and experiences, including: 

1. Global Internship 

Our Global internship program is perfect for students who want real-world job experience while earning college credits. Hosted in Berlin during the fall and spring semesters, this 18-week program offers students a wide range of internship opportunities across various industries.  

It’s a competitive program, but don’t worry, we will work directly with you to match you with an internship that suits your needs and professional goals.  

• Timeframe: 18 weeks
  • Credit: 12-18 semester hours / 18-27 quarter hours 
  • Language of instruction: English 
  • Cost: $19,950  

2. January in Berlin 

January in Berlin is a great option for students busy with extracurricular activities, jobs, or other time constraints during most of the calendar and academic year. This three-week winter program offers a jam-packed schedule that will give you more than a passing glance at Germany.  

You will engage German culture through intensive coursework and historical excursions including the opportunity to walk one of the last remaining stretches of the Berlin Wall. It’s a short program, but it’s oh so sweet.  

• Timeframe: 3 ½ weeks
  • Credit: 3 semester hours / 4.5 quarter hours 
  • Language of instruction: English  
  • Cost: $3,650 

berlin open campus block program with ciee students on excursion

3. Summer Global Internship 

If you’d like to put your summer to use by gaining real-world work experience while earning college credits, then this German summer study abroad program more than fits the bill.  

Berlin, known as the start-up capital of Europe, provides a unique professional experience in a vibrant, entrepreneurial city. Choose from a wide range of internship opportunities across a diverse set of industries. We will even help you navigate the internship interview process and set you up for success during a summer unlike any other. 

• Timeframe: 8 weeks 
  • Credit: 6 semester hours / 9 quarter hours 
  • Language of instruction: English 
  • Cost: $6,950 

4. Summer in Berlin 

Create your own summer adventure in Berlin. Spend six weeks living and learning in Germany’s beautiful capital where you will explore Berlin’s architectural masterpieces, learn German, and taste your way through this magnificent city. Located in the heart of the Kreuzberg district, CIEE Berlin has the best of both worlds: a U.S.-style residence within a local German neighborhood. Six weeks not enough? Make it a double and stay for 12! 

• Timeframe: 6 weeks 
  • Credit: 6-7 semester hours per Block / 9-10.5 quarter hours per Block 
  • Language of instruction: English and/or German 
  • Cost: $6,650 

5. Open Campus Block 

Our Open Campus Block program is ideal for students who want to customize their own study abroad experience. Choose up to three cities, in which you will study for six weeks each, or opt to stay in the same place for one, two, or all three blocks (18 weeks).  

Berlin is one of 16 incredible cities offered as part of our Open Campus Block network. Here, you will learn from expert instructors who’ve made Berlin their home and are eager to share exciting connections between your course material and the people, sites, and organizations that make Berlin unique. 

• Timeframe: 6 weeks
  • Cost: $6,650  

ciee january berlin students eating dinner together

6. Global Architecture + Design 

Berlin is an excellent laboratory for students who wish to learn 20th-century urbanism as well as contemporary design and development strategies, especially in areas of sustainable urbanism. In our popular Global Architecture + Design program, you will get to create model cities that address climate change by reducing the environmental footprint of buildings. All courses are led by experts from Berlin’s architecture and design community. And you can study in German and/or English the choice is yours! 

• Timeframe: 18 weeks
  • Credit: 15 - 18 semester hours / 22.5 - 27 quarter hours
  • Cost: $20,950 

How Can You Study Abroad in Germany? 

It’s easy! Simply follow these three steps: 

1. Start your application here. 
  2. Connect with your school’s study abroad office (if applicable). Share your plans with a study abroad advisor to confirm you’re on track to meet all required steps to go abroad. They’ll be able to walk you through this process. 
  3. Contact us. Reach out if you have any questions or need information about applying to a specific program. We’ve got your back every step of the way! 

Ready to get started?