5 Reflections from Study Abroad in London

When it's time to decide where to study abroad, choosing the right city can be a challenge! Considering a study abroad program in London? We asked alumni to share their favorite memories from their time in the UK, here's what they said!

Something you fell in love with while abroad:

From the moment you step off the plane you're sure to fall in love with your new home.

"I sadly did not take a pic at the tube... which now that I am home I wish I had. The tube is the thing I fell in love with the most. I wish I had one at home. When at the tube one could obviously move around the whole city but it was a great time to be with yourself. I could read a book, listen to music. And take it all in because on a study abroad opportunity you are trying to d so much in such a short amount of time that you don't really process everything once you are gone but the tube allowed me to think about everything while still abroad." - Daniela Q., The University of Texas El Paso

"Absolutely fell in love with the views of the River Thames from anywhere, especially here, the view from the top of St. Paul’s Cathedral." - Darcy L., Arizona State University

A moment abroad that lives rent free in your mind

While abroad Matthew B., Lauren Z., and Darcy L., all had some uniquely special bucket list experiences including attending the 2020 Brit Awards, visiting MTV UK with Kim Petras after the last date of her tour, and watching a documentary screening at the Prince Charles Cinema!

"Being at the 2020 Brit Awards lives rent free in my mind!! A bucket list experience I am forever grateful for." - Darcy L., Arizona State University

"Being able to see Taylor Swift's documentary opening weekend at a theater at the Prince Charles Cinema in Leicester Square!" - Lauren Z., University of Maryland

Photo for blog post 5 Reflections from Study Abroad in London

A favorite food you discovered while abroad

When it comes to English cuisine, our alums often fall in love with some of the classics!

"Tea! It became my go to even now that I am home. I absolutely love adding milk and the sugar cubes which I had never tried before. And obviously you need to eat it with some great scones jam and clotted cream!" - Daniela Q., The University of Texas El Paso

"A full English breakfast. I actually loved the beans, but not so much the black pudding..." - Lauren Z., University of Maryland

Show us how you lived like a local by sharing the best kept secrets from your city

Whether you're on program for just a few weeks, or a full semester, getting to know the city like a local is one of the best ways to make the most out of your experience.

"The markets! These were my favorite thing to do and feel like a "local". This is Portobello market where we went one early morning to stroll around just like the locals. We had so much fun and many laughs because by the middle of the market we had spend much more than we intended to and still had another half a market to go through!" - Daniela Q., The University of Texas at El Paso

"I loved exploring London's local and independent bookshops. One of my favorites was Word on the Water, a bookshop inside a houseboat!" - Lauren Z., University of Maryland​​

A favorite memory with a person/people you met abroad

Your time abroad is made up of memories with new people in new places. These are the moments that will stay with you for years to come!

"These three people became my favorite! We did a lot of things together, from strolls around London to visiting Cotswolds to China Town and Stonehenge and much more! and I certainly loved them as travel partners. This was the time we decided to try high tea, and it was delicious. I miss them every day and I hope we get to travel together again!" - Daniela Q., The University of Texas at El Paso

"Getting to walk across THE Abbey Road with my best friends and see the studio where so many legends have recorded was surreal." - Darcy L., Arizona State University