Information for term Advanced Liberal Arts
Application deadline, and cost information.
Application DeadlineApril 1, 2021
Program Deadlines and Pricing Info
- Tentative Dates: Sep 4 – Dec 21, 2021 (15 weeks)*
- Credit: 15 - 18 semester hours / 22.5 - 27 quarter hours
- Eligibility: 2.5 Overall GPA
OverviewClick to Open
Take your advanced Spanish language skills to the next level while studying across a range of academic areas at CIEE Seville and our partner schools, University of Seville and Universidad Pablo de Olavide (UPO). Take classes alongside local students, in Spanish, while immersing yourself in the rich culture of Seville. CIEE Seville is located in the heart of Seville, close to the Royal Alcazar palace. All courses are complemented with CIEE co-curricular activities and excursions beyond the city to enhance classroom learning and provide intercultural understanding.
EXPLORE A NEW PLACE, TASTE, OR
experience every week, with activities and excursions that illuminate everything you are learning.
BECOME IMMERSED IN SEVILLE
with courses alongside local Spanish peers at the local Spanish universities.
and discover some of the most beautiful cities in Andalucia through our excursions to cities like Cadiz, Malaga, Cordoba, Jerez, etc.
UNESCO World Heritage Sites in Old Town3
Location & CultureClick to Open
Seville has its origins in the trade routes controlled by the Phoenicians in the 8th century BC. Romans, Goths, Muslims, and Christians established their capital here before it became the most important city in Southern Europe and gateway to the Americas in the 16th century. The commercial hub of its region, the city preserves many traces of its past and traditions. With 700,000 residents, Seville offers a large variety of cultural activities that range from the Flamenco Biennial and the European Film Festival to alternative theater venues, bars with live music, beautiful streets and open spaces and, of course, one of the most respected bullrings in the world.
EXCURSIONS & ACTIVITIES
- Practice your language skills with Spanish university students during a special language immersion day that includes group activities and games, presentations, one-to-one conversation, food and drinks.
- Discover the treasures of cities like Córdoba and Cádiz.
- Try your hand at Spanish cooking – tapas anyone?
- Unwind and get a different perspective on a kayaking tour.
- Join in flamenco lessons, check out Seville’s alternative cinemas, and more. New activities are always on offer.
- Explore historical sites all around Seville as well as medieval castles like in Carmona
- Get above it all with a hike in the Sierra Norte
- Volunteer: become and English cultural and language assistant for children or teenagers at a local school, or connect with the people of Seville by helping at one of the many local organizations that support citizens in need of social assistance.
- Conversation exchange program. Socialize with Spanish peers while you improve your language skills by leaps and bounds.
- University activities. Students can join in with a range of activities and outings – choir, hiking, sports, etc. – offered by our host universities.
Program BlogsClick to Open
Daily LifeClick to Open
Homestays. Most students choose to live with a Spanish-speaking family. Homestays are limited to one student per household. Each student will have his/her own bedroom, and weekly cleaning, laundry and internet are provided. Students usually walk or ride rented bikes, but may also be able to take public transportation.
Residence halls. Students have individual bedrooms with bathroom, kitchen, Internet, and weekly cleaning and linen service. Halls have common spaces, and students can opt to pay for meal plans, laundry, gym and pool services and more. Students should expect a 20-40-minute commute, riding a rented bike or city bus.
Academic-year students: Students can move to private apartments for the second semester. Roommates may not be American or English-speaking. CIEE provides a monthly stipend for these students, but they are responsible for arranging and paying for apartments.
Homestay: Three meals per day are provided by the host. Residence halls: Meals are not provided. Students have access to kitchens and cafeterias.
Where You'll Study
CIEE STUDY CENTER
In the city center, a ten-minute walk from the main Universidad de Seville building.
UNIVERSIDAD DE SEVILLA
UNIVERSIDAD PABLO DE OLAVIDE
A 30-minute metro or bus ride from the center of the city.
AcademicsClick to Open
This program is designed for students with advanced Spanish language skills and strong academic backgrounds. Students take most classes with Spanish students at our partner institutions: the Universidad de Sevilla, Universidad Pablo de Olavide, and EUSA, as well as from CIEE Seville where a variety of specialized electives are offered. Whether you’re interested in business, engineering, language, arts, the humanities, or social sciences, you can explore your interests and earn credit toward your degree in Seville.
Universidad de Sevilla has been one of Spain’s leading institutions of higher learning since the 16th century, and now hosts some 75,000 students. Its many schools, departments, and institutes serve the educational needs of Spain’s most populous region.
EUSA (Estudios Universitarios Superiores de Andalucía) University Centre is a private university center founded in 1961 and affiliated with the University of Seville since 1996. Their official undergraduate degrees include Audiovisual Communication, Journalism, Advertising and Public Relations, and Tourism. EUSA is one of the educational components that constitute the Campus Formativo of the Chamber of Commerce of Seville, a unique configuration located in the heart of Seville which has catered to the learning needs of over 55,000 national and international students.
Universidad Pablo de Olavide (UPO) – With nearly 11,000 students, UPO is the second largest state university in Seville. Its 345-acre campus is 30-minutes from the center of the city. UPO offers undergraduate and graduate programs in traditional majors, as well other areas, from biotechnology to translation. Modern facilities include campus-wide Internet access, sports facilities, science labs, and more.
CIEE Seville – Our home is a beautifully renovated palace, originally built in 1725. It is close to the Royal Alcazar palace and a 10-minute walk from the Universidad de Sevilla. The site includes classrooms, a computer room, student services, the Center for Linguistic Resources, and the Advanced Liberal Arts team.
Prior to departure for Seville, all students take a CIEE online placement exam. Results determine appropriate placement in language courses. Placement in many upper-level courses depends on a high score.
Our Language Resource Center is staffed by language professors and Spanish students majoring in Spanish philology. Tutorials that focus on university course content are also offered. Spanish classmates and graduate students help CIEE students with their university work. Students can also request personal tutors.
Students agree to speak only Spanish to encourage language and cultural acquisition.
The GPA for students who want to take classes at University of Seville is 2.5.
For students who want to take classes at University Pablo de Olavide, the GPA is 2.9.
6 semesters of college-level Spanish (or equivalent).
Students must take five to six courses, for a total of 15-18 semester credits, including:
- One two-week intensive Spanish language or culture course
- HISP 3501 CSCS Social History of Contemporary Spain, SPAN 3503 CSCS Intensive Spanish for Students of Business and Economics, or SPAN 4502 CSCS Intensive Advanced Spanish Grammar, depending on results from placement exam.
- Students at a lower language level will be encouraged to enroll in the semester long course SPAN 4102 CSCS: Advanced Composition and Stylistics
- Four to five semester elective courses
- One to two CIEE course from any of the areas listed below
- Business, Economics, Management, and Marketing
- Communication, Journalism, and Media
- Health Professions and Related Programs
- History, Philosophy, Religion
- Languages and Cultural Studies
- Literature, Linguistics, and Writing
- Social Sciences
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Independent Research Project (optional)
- Business Internship (optional)
- A minimum of three host institution courses
- University of Seville
- University Pablo de Olavide
- EUSA School of Communications
- One to two CIEE course from any of the areas listed below
Total credit: 15-18 U.S. semester/22.5-27 quarter credits
- CIEE courses: 3 U.S. semester/4.5 quarter credits; 45 contact hours
- CIEE Internship 3 U.S. semester/4.5 quarter credits; 15 contact hours, 100 placement hours
- CIEE Directed Independent Research: 3 U.S. semester/ quarter credits; 15 contact hours, 100 research hours
- University of Seville: 3 U.S. semester/4.5 quarter credits; 45 contact hours, unless otherwise noted
- University Pablo de Olavide: 3 U.S. semester/4.5 quarter credits; 45 contact hours, unless otherwise noted
- EUSA School of Communications: 3 U.S. semester/4.5 quarter credits; 45 contact hours, unless otherwise noted
Spanish students begin to study in their area of concentration from day one. They are specialists, not generalists. Spain does not have a liberal arts educational tradition and different degrees do not include survey-type classes. Class attendance is mandatory, and students are expected to complete work and exams as scheduled. Dates of official university exams are published early in the semester. Academic and exam schedules vary between academic institutions, so plan accordingly. All students are required to review their exams with their professors before leaving Seville, so they know how they performed and what grade to expect.
CIEE courses are open only to CIEE students. University courses are open to Spanish and international students. Courses in law, geography, history, and philology meet in the Universidad de Sevilla’s main building, Tabacalera. Classes from the other schools meet at different campuses around the city. Universidad Pablo de Olavide (UPO) classes are held on the UPO campus, a 30-minute commute from the city center. EUSA classes are taught on the EUSA campus, about 20 minutes walking from the center of the city.
In CIEE courses, students are graded on midterm and final examinations, assignments, class participation, and attendance. In direct enrollment classes, professors give oral or written final exams, and sometimes term papers, too. Numerical grades are given on a 10-point scale and converted to the U.S. scale.
Language of Instruction
CoursesClick to Open
- First-year courses at the University of Seville are not available to international students.
- Advanced Liberal Arts students may not take classes from the Cursos Concertados at University of Seville.
- Courses in the area of Business, Economics, Management, and Marketing are held at the University of Seville’s School of Economics and Business.
- All students who take host institution courses must stay to complete their classes and exams. Late semester exams may be possible but must be confirmed with the professor. Exact final exam dates will not be available until the beginning of the semester. Center staff will be able to help students enroll in courses with early exams if necessary.
Spring 2021 CIEE CoursesClick to Open
Business, Economics, Management, and Marketing
Communication, Journalism, and Media
Health Professions and Related Programs
History, Philosophy, Religion
Languages and Cultural Studies
Literature, Linguistics, and Writing
Visual and Performing Arts
Host Institution CoursesClick to Open
Host Institution courses are available from the UNIVERSITY OF SEVILLE, UNIVERSITY PABLO DE OLAVIDE COURSES, and EUSA School of Communications.
All syllabi are posted on the universities´ websites.
CIEE cannot guarantee host institution offerings or that the courses on the websites will not change.
UNIVERSIDAD DE SEVILLA (US)
First-year courses at the University of Seville are not available to international students.
Academic departments include:
- Arabic Language, Literature, and Area Studies
- Art History
- Business Studies
- Computer Science
- Labor Sciences
- Modern/Classical Languages and Literature
- Social Anthropology
- Spanish Language and Literature
- Studies of East Asia
UNIVERSIDAD PABLO DE OLAVIDE (UPO)
Academic departments include:
- Business Studies
- Experimental Sciences
- Geography/ History
- Labor Relations
- Social Education
- Social Sciences
- Social Work
- Sports Sciences
- Translation and Interpretation
Academic departments include:
- Advertising and Public Relations
- Audiovisual Communication
Note: This course listing is for informational purposes only and does not constitute a contract between CIEE and any applicant, student, institution, or other party. The courses, as described, may be subject to change as a result of ongoing curricular revisions, assignment of lecturers and teaching staff, and program development. Courses may be canceled due to insufficient enrollment.
ScholarshipsClick to Open
Scholarships & Grants
CIEE offers more than $8 million in scholarships and grants annually to help students like you make your study abroad dream a reality.
Students who apply to this program are eligible for the following scholarships and grants:
- Ping Scholarships for Academic Excellence
- Global Access Initiative (GAIN) Grants
- Stohl International Undergraduate Research Scholarships
- CIEE Gilman Go Global Grant
- MSI Grant
To be considered, submit the CIEE Scholarships & Grants application within your CIEE program application. Learn more at the Scholarships & Grants section of our website.See more scholarship info
Dates & FeesClick to Open
Dates & Fees
You get more for every dollar when you study abroad with CIEE, because our high-quality programs include everything from excursions to insurance. There are no hidden charges, and no disappointing surprises when you arrive.
Fees & Housing
|Spring 2021 20 weeks||Oct 1, 2020||Jan 13, 2021*||Jun 5, 2021*||
Click to Close
CIEE offers the most student support of any provider in its program fee, including an airport greeting, full-time leadership and support, orientation, cultural activities, local excursions, pre-departure advising, and CIEE iNext travel insurance with benefits.
Participation Confirmation = $300 *
Educational Costs = $12,123 **
Housing = $3,860 ***
Insurance = $167Total Fees = $16,450
Students are responsible and manage costs related to travel, meals, books, and personal expenses. Below are estimates for consideration.
Meals not included in program fee = $2,600 †
International Airfare = $1,100 ††
Local Transportation = $300
Books & Supplies = $250
Visa Fees = $160
Potential travel to consulate for visa = $500
Personal expenses = $2,800Total Estimated Costs = $7,710
CIEE offers the most grants and scholarships of any study abroad organization, including $8 million/year in travel grants, merit-based scholarships, institutional and MSI grants, and Gilman Go Global Grants.
This breakdown has been prepared from the program budget for the purpose of calculating eligibility for financial aid. During the course of program operations, actual figures may vary. It should not, therefore, be used as a basis for calculation of refunds. CIEE reserves the right to adjust fees at any time.
Students required by their US home institution to study abroad via CIEE's School of Record will be charged a $500 administrative fee in addition to the Program Fees listed.
** direct cost of education charged uniformly to all students
*** includes three meals daily for students choosing to live in a Spanish homestay. Meals and laundry are at the students’ expense for those participants choosing to live in a residence hall
† For students in apartments. Students in the residencia should budget $600 per semester for Sunday lunches and meals during breaks/national holidays. All meals are included for students in homestays.
†† round-trip based on U.S. East Coast departure
|Fall 2021 15 weeks||Apr 1, 2021||Sep 4, 2021*||Dec 21, 2021*|
*Dates for this program are provided as tentative dates. Please consult with your study abroad advisor to confirm dates before purchasing your flights.
To help you budget, keep in mind that students are responsible for the cost of international airfare, local transportation, books and supplies, visas, and personal expenses. In addition, your college or university may charge additional fees for study abroad, or may require you to receive a transcript via CIEE's School of Record, which carries an additional fee of $500.
Looking for funding?
What's IncludedClick to Open
Our StaffClick to Open
Get StartedHere's what you need to do to take the next steps:
START AN APPLICATIONApply Now
You're one step closer to an amazing study abroad experience!
CONNECT WITH YOUR CAMPUS STUDY ABROAD OFFICE
Share your plans and confirm you're on track to meet all required steps to go abroad.
Send us an email if you still have questions or need information about applying to this program.