Information for term Global Internship
Application deadline, and cost information.
Application DeadlineNovember 1, 2020
Program Deadlines and Pricing Info
- Deadline: November 1, 2020
- Dates: Jan 4 – Apr 10, 2021 (14 weeks)
- Credit: 12 - 15 semester hours / 18 - 22.5 quarter hours
OverviewClick to Open
Singapore combines an ultramodern skyline with the rich history of its past. Interns can look forward to an exhilarating summer at a centuries-old crossroads of international trade and a dynamic gateway to Asia. The world's aspiring “City in a Garden” - Singapore has a wonderland of lush green spaces as well as a prosperous economy that embraces everything from finance and pharmaceuticals to technology and tourism.
LIVE IN THE DYNAMIC GATEWAY TO ASIA
that combines an ultramodern skyline with the rich cultures of its past.
LEARN FROM THE ISLAND CITY-STATE
that hosts Asian headquarters of many multinational corporations across a range of industry sectors, making it an exceptionally diverse business community.
WORK IN A RAPIDLY GROWING ECONOMY
that embraces everything from finance and pharmaceuticals to technology and tourism.
OFFICIAL LANGUAGES: ENGLISH, MALAY, MANDARIN CHINESE, AND TAMIL4
SQUARE MILES OF TOTAL AREA277.3
Location & CultureClick to Open
A hub of international commerce, Singapore is one of the world’s most globalized economies. This island city-state hosts the Asian headquarters of many multinational corporations across a range of industries. It is an ideal venue for a challenging and rewarding internship program as well as an exciting place to explore - with its remarkable landscape and diverse blend of cultures and cuisines.
Excursions & Activities
- Join the locals and enjoy water sports like sailing, kayaking, water skiing, and scuba diving.
- Take in a symphony, an arts festival, or even an open mic night during your stay in Singapore, a “gateway between the East and West" and a center for performing arts and culture.
- Visit the world-famous Singapore Zoo, nestled within the lush Mandai rainforest and home to over 300 species of mammals, birds, and reptiles.
- Take advantage of resume guidance and learn interviewing skills based on the local business culture
- Explore the professional working world of Singapore through organizational site visits, industry networking events, and guest lectures
- Participate in workshops that will help you make the most of your internship
Daily LifeClick to Open
Program housing is in student dormitory or apartment-style accommodations. It includes shared (double or triple) rooms, laundry facilities, internet access, and convenient access to public transportation.
Meals are not included in the program housing, but housing is within close walking distance to a 24-hour food court as well as many affordable eateries and malls.
Where You'll Study
Located at Paya Lebar Square, the CIEE office is part of a shared co-working space and is centrally located with access to the MRT. Students will have co-curricular activities throughout the city.
Students commute to their internships and most program activities via local public transportation. Introduction to the transportation system is provided during orientation. Program housing is convenient to public transportation and all internship locations are accessible.
Like what you're seeing so far?
Program DetailsClick to Open
What you need to knowThe program details
As a global intern in Singapore, you’ll work in a non-paying position within a wide range of opportunities across a diverse set of industries. Co-curricular excursions and cultural activities in and around Singapore complement your coursework and immerse you in the history and culture of the city.
This semester length program includes 6 weeks of academic coursework and an 8-week full-time internship and course. Class environment varies depending on the course and is designed to follow U.S. academic culture and standards. All internships are offered in English.
AcademicsClick to Open
Students need to have a GPA of at least 2.5. Students participating in the Singapore Semester Global Internship program must maintain full-time student status at their home university while participating in the CIEE program and must have matriculated full-time at their home university at least three months prior to application. Students should be prepared to obtain a signed letter from their home university confirming student matriculation details. *Additional visa restrictions may apply and CIEE will advise students as part of the early application process.
Upon completing the two electives during the first six-week block, students participate in an academic seminar taught in an online learning environment alongside the 8-week, full-time internship. The two electives, the seminar and the internship are all required components of the program.
Total credit for the program is 12-15 semester/18-22.5 quarter credits.
CoursesClick to Open
Total credit: 12-15 semester/18-22.5 quarter credits
- CIEE courses: 3 semester/4.5 quarter credits; 45 contact hours unless otherwise noted
- CIEE Internship: 6 semester/9 quarter credits; 30 course hours, 200-240 internship placement hours
Language of Instruction
- Weeks 1 – 6
- 2 CIEE elective courses
- Weeks 7 – 14
- INSH 3828 HYBR: Academic Internship in a Global Workplace
- One additional CIEE elective course (optional)
- All internships are offered in English.
- Students should expect to spend 30-32 hours per week engaged in internship work
- Week 1-6 elective courses are chosen from any of the courses offered through the Open Campus Block program in Block I. Courses are listed as “Fall Block I” and “Spring Block I” respectively.
- The optional Week 7-14 elective is “Doing Business in Asia Pacific” and/or “Intercultural Communication and Leadership,” as listed below.
- “GI” denotes courses that are offered at multiple Global Institutes.
Spring 2021 CIEE CoursesClick to Open
Business, Economics, Management, and Marketing
Communication, Journalism, and Media
Computer and Information Sciences and Support Services
Note: This course listing is for informational purposes only and does not constitute a contract between CIEE and any applicant, student, institution, or other party. The courses, as described, may be subject to change as a result of ongoing curricular revisions, assignment of lecturers and teaching staff, and program development. Courses may be canceled due to insufficient enrollment.
ScholarshipsClick to Open
Scholarships & Grants
CIEE offers more than $8 million in scholarships and grants annually to help students like you make your study abroad dream a reality.
Students who apply to this program are eligible for the following scholarships and grants:
- Global Access Initiative (GAIN) Grants
- CIEE Gilman Go Global Grant
- MSI Grant
To be considered, submit the CIEE Scholarships & Grants application within your CIEE program application. Learn more at the Scholarships & Grants section of our website.See more scholarship info
Dates & FeesClick to Open
Dates & Fees
You get more for every dollar when you study abroad with CIEE, because our high-quality programs include everything from excursions to insurance. There are no hidden charges, and no disappointing surprises when you arrive.
YOUR FEE INCLUDES:
- Advising before you depart to set goals and answer questions
- Pre-departure online orientation and optional on-site airport meet-and-greet
- Full-time program leadership and support in your host city
- Cultural and/or Co-curricular Activities
- Insurance and other travel benefits, with CIEE iNext
- 24/7 emergency on-site support
To help you budget, keep in mind that students are responsible for the cost of international airfare, local transportation, books and supplies, visas, and personal expenses. In addition, ask your college or university study abroad advisor if your school charges additional fees for study abroad.
Fees & Housing
|Spring 2021 14 weeks||Nov 1, 2020||Jan 4, 2021||Apr 10, 2021|