Information for term Global Internship
Application deadline, and cost information.
Application DeadlineMay 1, 2020
Program Deadlines and Pricing Info
- Deadline: May 1, 2020
- Dates: Aug 17 – Nov 21, 2020 (14 weeks)
- Credit: 12 - 15 semester hours / 18 - 22.5 quarter hours
- Eligibility: 2.5 Overall GPA
OverviewClick to Open
CIEE Global Internship programs are built just for you! All our locations offer a wide range of internship opportunities across a diverse set of industries. When you apply, we work directly with you to find an internship that suits your unique needs and professional goals. Internships are competitive and confirmed upon a successful interview. You will have an edge on the competition because CIEE helps you navigate the internship interview process. CIEE staff offer constructive resume revisions and provide you with the tools to succeed in your interview. Learn more about our personalized placement process.
From its evocative landmarks to its vibrant art and dining, Berlin is one of the world’s most remarkable cities. Take advantage of all this trendy city has to offer as you participate in a full-time, English language internship matched to your individual skills and interests.
Work in Europe’s largest economy
and international hub for start-ups and tech companies
Sample Berlin’s entrepreneurial spirit
through the eclectic food scene with local and sustainable ingredients, supper clubs and food festivals
Live in a young, vibrant city
with residents from over 186 countries, world-renowned architecture, efficient public transportation, and open-minded, English-speaking locals
bridges. More than Venice!1,700
opera houses – most of any city in the world3
bigger than Paris9x
Location & CultureClick to Open
Home to nearly 3.5 million people, Berlin is a dynamic, global city. The capital of Germany boasts the most productive workers in the world, with booming start-up and tech sectors, creating the perfect environment for a rewarding internship. Berlin is also rich in culture with a wealth of museums, landmarks, and stunning architecture, not to mention its vibrant art and dining scenes.
EXCURSIONS & ACTIVITIES
- Get to know your peers by participating in local activities like going to the open-air cinema, taking a riverboat cruise, or playing soccer
- Visit the multitude of universities, research institutes, museums, and historical sites to expand your understanding of Berlin culture
- Explore the arts scene with trips to local galleries, film festivals, concerts, and theater performances
- Take advantage of resume help and interviewing skills based on local business culture
- Explore the professional working world of Berlin through organizational site visits, industry networking events, and guest lectures
- Participate in workshops that will help you make the most of your internship
Program BlogsClick to Open
Daily LifeClick to Open
Residence hall: Students may live in an on-campus residence hall with a mix of CIEE students and resident assistants. Students live in double, triple, or quad rooms with en-suite bathrooms and shower facilities. Lounges and kitchens allow students to mingle over meals, cultural activities, study groups, and special events. They are shared spaces, with students enjoying the benefits but also the responsibility of taking care of them. Larger common areas are on the ground floor and inner courtyards offer comfortable spaces to work and relax.
Shared Apartments: Students may also be housed in shared apartments when available. Students may live in double, triple, or quad rooms similar to the Residence Hall. Each apartment will have shared common spaces, including kitchen and bathroom.
*Accepted students can indicate a housing preference, but final housing assignments are solely at the discretion of CIEE.
Meals are not included in the program cost. In both housing styles, students can prepare their own meals within the kitchen facilities. Basic cooking utensils are provided. Students may purchase coffee, tea, soft drinks, snacks and sandwiches at the on-campus café or explore the myriad restaurants in the Kreuzberg neighborhood. Students should be prepared to have a food budget.
Where You'll Study
CIEE Global Institute-Berlin
Located in the heart of the Kreuzberg district, one of the most popular neighborhoods in Berlin, our campus contains the best of both worlds, with a U.S.-style residence life program within a local German neighborhood. The campus also offers easy access to a variety of shops, markets, restaurants, and cafes.
Students will commute mostly via public transportation. We provide an introduction to the system during orientation, and students are responsible for securing their own public transportation pass.
Like what you're seeing so far?
Program DetailsClick to Open
What you need to knowThe program details
As a global intern in Berlin, you’ll work in a non-paying position within a wide range of opportunities across a diverse set of industries. Co-curricular excursions and cultural activities in and around Berlin complement your coursework and immerse you in the history and culture of the city.
This semester length program includes 6 weeks of academic coursework and an 8-week full-time internship and course. Class environment varies depending on the course and is designed to follow U.S. academic culture and standards. All internships are offered in English.
AcademicsClick to Open
Students need to have a GPA of at least 2.5. Students participating in the Berlin Semester Global Internship program must maintain full-time student status at their home university while participating in the CIEE program and must have matriculated full-time at their home university at least three months prior to application. Students should be prepared to obtain a signed letter from their home university confirming student matriculation details. *Additional visa restrictions may apply and CIEE will advise students as part of the early application process.
Upon completing the two electives during the first six-week block, students participate in an academic course taught in an online learning environment alongside the 8-week, full-time internship. The two 6-week elective courses, internship course and the internship are all required components of the program.
Students will enroll in:
- Two CIEE elective courses offered on a 6-week academic block system
- 8-week full-time internship with an integrated online academic course
- Optional additional CIEE elective course: Doing Business in Europe
Total credit for the program is 12-15 semester/18-22.5 quarter credits.
Total credit: 12-15 semester/18-22.5 quarter credits
- CIEE courses: 3 semester/4.5 quarter credits; 45 contact hours (language courses = 60 contact hours)
- CIEE Internship: 6 semester/9 quarter credits; 30 course hours, 200-240 internship placement hours
Language of Instruction
English and/or German
- Weeks 1 – 6
- 2 CIEE elective courses
- Weeks 7 – 14
- INSH 3828 HYBR: Academic Internship in a Global Workplace
- One additional CIEE elective course (optional)
- All internships are offered in English.
- Students should expect to spend 30-32 hours per week engaged in internship project work
- Week 1-6 elective courses are chosen from any of the courses offered through the Open Campus program in Block I. Courses are listed under the “FALL 2019 BLOCK I CIEE COURSES” and “SPRING 2020 BLOCK I CIEE COURSES sections below, respectively.
- Qualified students may have the opportunity to enroll in a Global Architecture and Design course called Design and Sustainability Course as an elective during Weeks 1-6. Specific prerequisites will be reviewed by Resident Staff for final enrollment on site.
- During course selection, students interested in a German language course will be instructed to take an online German language assessment to determine their proficiency level. Enrollment will be finalized on site and is based on assessment outcomes.
- The optional Week 7-14 elective is listed under the “FALL 2019 CIEE COURSES” and “SPRING 2020 CIEE COURSES” sections below, respectively.
- “GI” denotes courses that are offered at multiple Global Institutes.
Note: This course listing is for informational purposes only and does not constitute a contract between CIEE and any applicant, student, institution, or other party. The courses, as described, may be subject to change as a result of ongoing curricular revisions, assignment of lecturers and teaching staff, and program development. Courses may be canceled due to insufficient enrollment.
CoursesClick to Open
Fall 2020 CIEE CoursesClick to Open
Business, Economics, Management, and Marketing
Communication, Journalism, and Media
Computer and Information Sciences and Support Services
Health Professions and Related Programs
History, Philosophy, Religion
Languages and Cultural Studies
Literature, Linguistics, and Writing
Mathematics and Statistics
Natural Resources, Conservation, and the Environment
ScholarshipsClick to Open
Scholarships & Grants
CIEE offers more than $8 million in scholarships and grants annually to help students like you make your study abroad dream a reality.
Students who apply to this program are eligible for the following scholarships and grants:
- Ping Scholarships for Academic Excellence
- Global Access Initiative (GAIN) Grants
- CIEE Gilman Go Global Grant
To be considered, submit the CIEE Scholarships & Grants application within your CIEE program application. Learn more at the Scholarships & Grants section of our website.See more scholarship info
Dates & FeesClick to Open
Dates & Fees
You get more for every dollar when you study abroad with CIEE, because our high-quality programs include everything from excursions to insurance. There are no hidden charges, and no disappointing surprises when you arrive.
YOUR FEE INCLUDES:
- Advising before you depart to set goals and answer questions
- Pre-departure online orientation and optional on-site airport meet-and-greet
- Full-time program leadership and support in your host city
- Cultural and/or Co-curricular Activities
- Insurance and other travel benefits, with CIEE iNext
- 24/7 emergency on-site support
To help you budget, keep in mind that students are responsible for the cost of international airfare, local transportation, books and supplies, visas, meals, and personal expenses. In addition, ask your college or university study abroad advisor if your school charges additional fees for study abroad.
No Hidden Fees
Fees & Housing
|Fall 2020 14 weeks||May 1, 2020||Aug 17, 2020||Nov 21, 2020||
Click to Close
CIEE offers the most student support of any provider in its program fee, including an airport greeting, full-time leadership and support, orientation, cultural activities, local excursions, pre-departure advising, and CIEE iNext travel insurance with benefits.
Participation Confirmation = $300 *
Educational Costs = $8,943
Housing = $3,440 **
Insurance = $167Total Fees = $12,850
Students are responsible and manage costs related to travel, meals, books, and personal expenses. Below are estimates for consideration.
Meals not included in program fee = $2,100
International Airfare = $1,150 †
Local Transportation = $315
Books & Supplies = $200
Visa Fees = $82
Personal expenses = $2,215Total Estimated Costs = $6,062
CIEE offers the most grants and scholarships of any study abroad organization, including $8 million/year in travel grants, merit-based scholarships, institutional and MSI grants, and Gilman Go Global Grants.
This breakdown has been prepared from the program budget for the purpose of calculating eligibility for financial aid. During the course of program operations, actual figures may vary. It should not, therefore, be used as a basis for calculation of refunds. CIEE reserves the right to adjust fees at any time.
Students required to study on CIEE programs through a School of Record will be charged a $500 administrative fee in addition to the Program Fees listed.
** Does not include a meal plan
† Roundtrip based on U.S. East Coast Departure
Looking for funding?
Our StaffClick to Open
Get StartedHere's what you need to do to take the next steps:
START AN APPLICATIONApply Now
You're one step closer to an amazing study abroad experience!
CONNECT WITH YOUR CAMPUS STUDY ABROAD OFFICE
Share your plans and confirm you're on track to meet all required steps to go abroad.
All applicants are highly encouraged to speak with their CIEE Global Internship Advisor prior to the application deadline. Connect early and often. You will learn about the program, the internship placement process, and receive coaching tips on the application process and your resume.