Information for term Summer Contemporary Music Creation + Critique
Application deadline, and cost information.
Application DeadlineApril 1, 2018
Program Deadlines and Pricing Info
- Deadline: April 1, 2018
- Dates: Jun 2 – Jul 1, 2018 (5 weeks)
- Credit: 4 semester hours / 6 quarter hours
- Eligibility: 2.5 Overall GPA
OverviewClick to Open
If you’ve got a passion for composition, this four-week Parisian adventure will be music to your ears. Learn from the experts at the world-famous IRCAM at the Centre Pompidou, recognized for experimental composition and research, with a unique three-step curriculum sure to take your skills to the next level. Top it off with celebrated musical festival and travel to Brittany.
Learn from and collaborate
with ICRAM students, composers, researchers, scholars, and visiting performers.
Master cutting-edge electronic
composition software – then enjoy a year of access to IRCAM’s software database back home.
Connect with celebrated artists
and composers at the IRCAM ManiFESTE music festival.
annual visitors to the Notre Dame cathedral14M
monuments throughout the city1,803
trees line Parisian streets470K
Location & CultureClick to Open
If you’re looking to spend time in one of the world’s most prominent centers of culture, finance, and commerce, you’ll find it in Paris. The capital of France – and the country’s most populous city – Paris is a top tourist destination and will make you fall in love with its historic landmarks, exquisite dining, and charming architecture. Paris has hosted two Summer Olympics and two FIFA World Cups, and each year the city hosts the final stage of the Tour de France bicycle race.
EXCURSIONS & ACTIVITIES
- Attend concerts, conferences, exhibitions, and happenings around multi-media and new music technology and composition, during IRCAM’s ManiFESTE festival.
- Travel to Brittany for a weekend to discover the musical heritage of this legendary region.
- Savor time in the studio, patching, sound sculpting, composing, and more.
Daily LifeClick to Open
Homestay: With a limited number of homestays, some students live with French families in Paris.
Apartment or residence hall: Students share double-occupancy space with one other student with access to a shared kitchen.
Homestay: Hosts provide breakfast and five meals a week.
Apartment or residence hall: Students are responsible for all meals; housing is near markets, shops, and cafes.
Where You'll Study
INSTITUT DE RECHERCHE ET COORDINATION ACOUSTIQUE/MUSIQUE
Next to the Centre Pompidou in the Marais district in central Paris.
Like what you're seeing so far?request more information
What you need to knowThe program details
This unique summer program takes place at the world-renowned Institut de Recherche et Coordination Acoustique/Musique (IRCAM). Founded in 1977, IRCAM is devoted to research and experimentation in music composition, acoustic performance, and technological modification of sound.
IRCAM conducts ground-breaking research in acoustic and computer technology. Promoting new works and new composers under the aegis of the Centre Pompidou, IRCAM also provides intensive instruction to a select handful of graduate students.
All classes in this program take place at IRCAM, and students have full access to all facilities, including the library and mediathèque, as well as all ManiFESTE activities. Students participate in three components:
- First Steps: An intensive two-week course focusing on the MAX/MSP music application that helps students create patch sound samples and voice modulation; Audiosculpt and OpenMusic are also introduced.
- Culture of Music Creation: Connect the art and critique of sound with concerts and events at the ManiFESTE festival at IRCAM.
- Académie: A two-week training to learn other IRCAM composition software and an exploration of how renowned visiting composers use it.
AcademicsClick to Open
Students need to have a GPA of at least 2.5.
Completion of or proof of enrollment in an introductory level course in electronic music that touches on Max/MSP. Fluency in Macintosh OS X environments. Familiarity with a sequencer program such as Pro Tools or Logic Audio. Familiarity with a sound editor like Peak. A letter of motivation.
- Contact hours: 76; credit – 4 semester/6 quarter hours
Students complete three components of this program:
- Learning MAX/MSP, Audiosculpt, OpenMusic, 36 hours over two weeks.
- Culture of Music Creation, ManiFESTE Music Festival, 12 hours, dispersed throughout the program.
- Overview at IRCAM, including continued work on IRCAM electronic software, lectures and encounters with invited Académie composers, rehearsals and hands-on work, 36 hours over 2 weeks.
Summer 2018 CoursesClick to Open
Refer to Summer 2017 term for an overview of course options. Our final courses will be listed by August 15.
Summer 2017 CoursesClick to Open
Note: This course listing is for informational purposes only and does not constitute a contract between CIEE and any applicant, student, institution, or other party. The courses, as described, may be subject to change as a result of ongoing curricular revisions, assignment of lecturers and teaching staff, and program development. Courses may be canceled due to insufficient enrollment.
- MUSI 3001 CMCC: Contemporary Music Creation and Critique
ScholarshipsClick to Open
Scholarships & Grants
In 2016, we awarded over 1,000 scholarships totaling more than $5 million, helping more students get on planes and live their dreams in faraway places than any other organization. This year's no different. In fact, every year we give this unrivaled amount of funding, because we’re on a mission to help YOU go abroad, too! Explore your options today.
Students who apply to this program are eligible for the following scholarships and grants:
- Global Access Initiative (GAIN) Grants
- CIEE Gilman Go Global Grant
To be considered, submit the CIEE Scholarships & Grants application within your CIEE program application. Learn more at the Scholarships & Grants section of our website.See more scholarship info
Dates, Deadlines & FeesClick to Open
Dates, Deadlines & Fees
You get more for every dollar when you study abroad with CIEE, because our high-quality programs include everything from excursions to insurance. There are no hidden charges, and no disappointing surprises when you arrive.
YOUR FEE INCLUDES:
- Advising before you depart to set goals and answer questions
- Optional on-site airport meet-and-greet
- Three-day orientation – an introduction to French culture, your academic program, and the city, plus practical information about living in your host city
- Full-time program leadership and support in your host city
- Field trips and cultural activities
- Overnight excursions
- Insurance and other travel benefits, with CIEE iNext
To help you budget, keep in mind that students are responsible for the cost of international airfare, local transportation, books and supplies, visas, and personal expenses. In addition, ask your college or university study abroad advisor if your school charges additional fees for study abroad.
No Hidden Fees
|Summer 2018 5 weeks|
|Apr 1, 2018|
|Jun 2, 2018|
|Jul 1, 2018|
Fees & Housing
Click to Close
CIEE offers the most student support of any provider in its program fee, including an airport greeting, full-time leadership and support, orientation, cultural activities, local excursions, pre-departure advising, and CIEE iNext travel insurance with benefits.
Participation Confirmation = $300 *
Educational Costs = $4,223 **
Housing = $1,160 ***
Insurance = $167Total Fees = $5,850
Students are responsible and manage costs related to travel, meals, books, and personal expenses. Below are estimates for consideration.
Meals not included in program fee = $600
International Airfare = $1,450 †
Local Transportation = $125
Books & Supplies = $50
Personal expenses = $750Total Estimated Costs = $2,975
CIEE offers the most grants and scholarships of any study abroad organization, including $5 million/year in travel grants, merit-based scholarships, MSI grants, Gilman matching grants, and Pell matching grants.
This breakdown has been prepared from the program budget for the purpose of calculating eligibility for financial aid. During the course of program operations, actual figures may vary. It should not, therefore, be used as a basis for calculation of refunds. CIEE reserves the right to adjust fees at any time.
Students required to study on CIEE programs through a School of Record will be charged a $500 administrative fee in addition to the Program Fees listed.
** direct cost of education charged uniformly to all students
*** includes breakfast and lunch daily
† round-trip based on U.S. East Coast departure
Looking for funding?
Our StaffClick to Open
Get StartedHere's what you need to do to take the next steps:
START AN APPLICATIONApply Now
You're one step closer to an amazing study abroad experience!
CONNECT WITH YOUR CAMPUS STUDY ABROAD OFFICE
Share your plans and confirm you're on track to meet all required steps to go abroad.
Contact an Advisor
Send us an email if you still have questions or need information about applying to this program.