Study Abroad in Palma de Mallorca
College Study Abroad
Explore Palma de Mallorca, Spain
As the capital and largest city of the autonomous Balearic Islands, this former Roman camp is the jewel of Mallorca, filled with stunning signs of its Moorish past. It is also a bustling commercial and cultural center and a favorite among European tourists.
Study Tours & Cultural Excursions
Every CIEE semester program has frequent cultural excursions and a multi-day study tour uniquely designed to complement the program’s academics and enhance students’ cultural immersion. In Palma de Mallorca, past study tours and excursions have included:
- Journeys by boat from Sóller to Torrent de Pareïs or to the natural park of Cabrera
- Visits to historic towns like Valldemossa, Deiá, and Pollensa
- Strolls of the white sands at Es Trenc or Cala Mondragó
- Excursions to Cape Formentor
- Hikes at the impressive Tramuntana Mountain, a UNESCO World Heritage Site
- Tours of Palma’s highlights like the cathedral, Bellver Castle, Royal Palace of la Almudaina, Arab Baths, City Hall, and the historic district
Where Students Study
CIEE Palma de Mallorca
Conveniently located at the Universitat de les Illes Balears.
Universitat de les Illes Balears (UIB)
UIB is a modern university hosting 13,000 students that emphasizes tourism studies, business, economics, human resources, and environmental sustainability. Journal of Hospitality & Tourism Research ranks the UIB Tourism program first in Spain, second in Europe, and seventeenth in the world.
Internships & Volunteering
Depending on their program of study and availability, students may be able to participate in an internship or volunteer. In Palma de Mallorca, students can volunteer through Red Cross Youth or the University. They can also build their resume and earn 3 or 6 credits working in marketing event planning, sales, or human resources in a company or hotel. Students can also earn 3 credits teaching English as a Second Language (TESL) to children at a Palma school.