Study Abroad in Rio de Janeiro
COLLEGE STUDY ABROAD
Explore Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
The most visited city in the southern hemisphere, Rio is known for its natural beauty, Carnival celebrations, samba, bossa nova, and renowned beaches. It is also one of Latin America’s liveliest cities, rich in cultural heritage.
HOW FAR TO…
- Santiago de Chile — 3,703 km/2,300 miles
- Lima — 4,809 km/2,988 miles
- Havana — 6,644 km/4,129 miles
- Buenos Aires — 2,658 km/1,651 miles
- Santiago — 5,576 km/3,464 miles
- Cape Town — 6,056 km/3,763 miles
- London — 9,272 km/5,761 miles
WHERE STUDENTS STUDY
CIEE Global Institute – Rio de Janeiro
Our Global Institute in Rio is part of the CIEE Global Institute Network and is located within Villa Aymoré, an early 20th century residential villa recently renovated into a state-of-the-art urban office space. Along with CIEE, Villa Aymoré hosts innovative startups, a contemporary Brazilian art gallery, restaurant and café, food trucks, a quaint patio, and a shared office co-working facility, which houses our classrooms, office space for staff and workspace for students. Villa Aymoré hosts many events and exhibitions throughout the year, giving students a chance to interact with young Brazilian professionals and entrepreneurs who work at the Villa.
Pontifícia Universidade Católica do Rio de Janeiro (PUC-Rio)
Founded in 1941, this private, nonprofit Catholic university is one of the largest and most prestigious Brazilian universities. With 12,000 undergraduate and 2,500 graduate students, PUC-Rio is acclaimed for law, engineering, computer science, psychology, economics, business, and international relations programs.
where you stay
The energy is palpable the moment you set foot in Rio. Settled between the Guanabara Bay and Atlantic Ocean, the most visited city in the southern hemisphere is also the continent’s third largest. As the towering Christ the Redeemer statue looms atop Corcovado Mountain while a million revelers celebrate Carnival each year, students quickly discover that Rio is a fascinating study in contrasts, culture, and, of course, samba styles.
- Student housing ideally located within walking distance of CIEE site and close to restaurants, banks, grocery stores, and public transportation.
- Enjoy golden beaches like Copacabana and Ipanema, lush landscapes, and the vibrancy of the Brazilian culture.
- Tour of the city of Rio and visit its iconic landmarks including the giant statue of Christ the Redeemer, Sugarloaf Mountain, and the Maracanã soccer stadium.
- Take part in engaging classroom instruction, daily co-curricular activities, overnight study tours, and local excursions.
INTERNSHIPS & VOLUNTEERING
Depending on their program of study and availability, students may be able to participate in an internship or volunteer. In Rio, students will have the opportunity to volunteer in organizations such as ISAI School helping organize camp-type activities (sports, games, handicrafts, etc.) or teaching English to children between 5 to 11 years old.
Study Tours & Cultural Excursions
Every CIEE semester program has frequent cultural excursions and a multi-day study tour uniquely designed to complement the program’s academics and enhance students’ cultural immersion. In Rio de Janeiro, past study tours and excursions have included:
- Exploring the Biblioteca Nacional (National Library of Brazil)
- Soccer games at Maracanã stadium, one of the world’s largest football stadiums and host to the 2017 FIFA cup
- Trips to Salvador da Bahia to discover vibrant Afro diaspora cultural traditions
- Hikes through the Atlantic Forest that envelopes the city or to the top of Corcovado mountain, where the Christ the Redeemer statues awaits
- Overnight trips to Ouro Preto to see the 17th century
- Baroque architecture that made this a UNESCO World Heritage site
Study Abroad Programs in Rio de Janeiro
ONE SEMESTER, MULTIPLE LOCATIONSDesign Your Own Study Abroad Experience
With CIEE's Open Campus, you can design your very own study abroad semester program to include up to three different locations. Use our custom build tool, spin the globe, or take a look at experiences around some of our most popular open campus combinations!BUILD MINE NOW