York, London Study Tour

Open Campus Block

Multi-day tours, designed to complement your academics and enhance your cultural immersion, are included in all of CIEE’s Open Campus Block programs!

FALL BLOCK II - YORK

York, a historic walled city in North Yorkshire situated at the meeting point of two rivers the Ouse and Foss, is ideally located halfway between London and Edinburgh. The city has Roman roots and a Viking past. It used to be referred to as Jorvik when it was the capital of a Viking territory. A walk around the city walls is a great way to view some of the city’s prominent landmarks, the most significant being the York Minster. The York Minster is the centre of Christianity in the North of England and has retained this title since the 7th century.

During your time in York, you can visit ‘The Shambles’ which is a historic and picturesque street with overhanging timber-framed houses and traditional shopfronts. It has been officially listed as one of the UK’s most historic streets. York began as a significant wool-trading centre before emerging as a railway hub and confectionary manufacturing centre during the 19th century. York is still renowned as a town where many famous British sweets were created including the Terrys Orange, Rowntree’s fruit pastels and the world-famous KitKat. You can learn more about York’s role in the confectionery industry at the York Chocolate Story Museum. More recently, York has followed many surrounding towns and shifted their economy towards services.

FREE TIME SUGGESTIONS 

Discover how York became the UK’s home of chocolate and uncover a host of surprising secrets and fascinating facts along the way.

Read more about the amazing study tour!