Why Study Abroad in Melbourne, Australia: Top 5 Reasons

As the cultural epicenter of Australia, and one of the country’s most vibrant and cosmopolitan cities, Melbourne is an incredible place for a study abroad adventure! From its world-class arts and culture scene to its diverse neighborhoods and world-famous coffee scene, there are tons of reasons to study abroad in Melbourne, Australia – but we’ll give you just five. 

In this guide, we'll share some of the top reasons Melbourne is good for international students, so you can confidently prepare for the opportunity of a lifetime Down Under. 

Read More: Sydney vs. Melbourne Study Abroad: Which is Better for You? 

Top 5 Reasons to Study Abroad in Melbourne, Australia 

Many students wonder, “Is Melbourne a good place to study abroad?” The answer to that question is a resounding YES. See for yourself! 

Reason #1: You’ll experience Melbourne’s thriving arts and culture scene. 

Melbourne is famed as the cultural capital of Australia, and for good reason. The city is home to a vibrant arts scene, with world-class museums, galleries, theaters, and performance venues.  

The National Gallery of Victoria, for example, is the oldest and largest public art gallery in Australia, housing an impressive collection of Australian and international art. You can also catch cutting-edge contemporary art exhibitions at the Australian Centre for Contemporary Art

Melbourne's theater scene is equally impressive, with the iconic Arts Centre Melbourne hosting a diverse lineup of plays, musicals, dance performances, and more. And if you're a music lover, you'll be spoiled for choice, with the city playing host to major music festivals, concerts, and intimate live music venues. 

Beyond the arts, Melbourne is also renowned for its vibrant street art scene. You can spend hours wandering the city's laneways and alleyways, discovering stunning murals, graffiti, and installations. 

Reason #2: You’ll immerse yourself in Melbourne’s diverse neighborhoods. 

One of the things that makes Melbourne such a fascinating city is its diverse array of neighborhoods, each with its own unique character and charm.  

Take, for example, the inner-city suburb of Fitzroy. Known for its bohemian vibe, Fitzroy is home to a thriving independent music scene, vintage clothing stores, and some of the city's best cafés and restaurants. Just a short tram ride away, you'll find the leafy, residential neighborhood of Carlton, with its grand Victorian architecture and vibrant Italian community.  

Venture further out, and you'll discover suburbs like St Kilda, with its iconic beachfront promenade and lively arts scene, or the trendy, multicultural hub of Brunswick. 

Each neighborhood offers a different slice of Melbourne life and exploring them is a great way to immerse yourself in the city's diverse culture. 

fitzroy gardens melbourne australia

Read More: Eat, Drink, Explore: Melbourne 

Reason #3: You’ll indulge in Melbourne’s world-class food and coffee scene. 

Melbourne is famed for being one of the world's great food cities, with a thriving culinary scene that draws inspiration from a diverse range of cultures and cuisines.  

From the bustling Queen Victoria Market, where you can sample fresh produce, street food, and artisanal goods, to the city's countless cafés, restaurants, and bars, there's no shortage of delicious options to explore. Whether you're craving a hearty brunch, a gourmet burger, or a fine-dining experience, you'll find it in Melbourne. 

But it's not just the food that makes Melbourne a foodie's paradise – the city is also renowned for its exceptional coffee culture. Melbourne is home to more than 2,000 cafés and some of the best baristas in the world serving up expertly crafted espresso drinks on every corner. It's the perfect place to indulge in a leisurely coffee break and people-watch. 

Reason #4: You’ll discover Melbourne’s stunning natural surroundings. 

While Melbourne is a bustling urban center, it's also surrounded by some of Australia's most breathtaking natural landscapes.  

Just a short drive from the city, you'll find the Dandenong Ranges, a lush, forested area dotted with charming villages, hiking trails, and the iconic Puffing Billy steam train. Further afield, the Mornington Peninsula offers stunning coastal scenery, with picturesque beaches, wineries, and charming seaside towns.  

And of course, no visit to Melbourne would be complete without a trip to the iconic Great Ocean Road, where you can marvel at the dramatic rock formations of the Twelve Apostles and explore the region's diverse wildlife.  

Whether you're a nature lover or just looking for a scenic escape, Melbourne's natural surroundings offer endless opportunities for adventure and exploration. 

melbourne park

Read More: Top 20 Aussie Slang Phrases and Words 

Reason #5: You’ll experience Melbourne’s vibrant student life. 

As a major university city, Melbourne is home to a thriving student community, offering a wealth of opportunities for social, cultural, and academic engagement.  

The city's universities, such as the University of Melbourne, are renowned for their excellent academic programs and research facilities, attracting students from around the world. But beyond the classroom, Melbourne’s institutions also offer a rich array of extracurricular activities, from sports teams and student clubs to cultural events and social gatherings.  

In addition to campus life, Melbourne's student population contributes to the city's lively nightlife scene, with a diverse range of bars, pubs, and music venues catering to a young, cosmopolitan crowd. Whether you're looking to catch a live band, try your hand at trivia, or simply enjoy a bite to eat with new friends, you'll find plenty of opportunities to immerse yourself in Melbourne's vibrant student culture. 

Melbourne Study Abroad in Calling 

So, is Melbourne a good place to study abroad? Absolutely! Melbourne study abroad offers you the unique opportunity to expand your horizons, immerse yourself in a new culture, and experience all this vibrant city has to offer. From its academic excellence and cultural diversity to its thriving arts scene and outdoor adventure opportunities, Melbourne has something for everyone.  

Why wait? Start planning your Melbourne, Australia study abroad adventure and embark on the experience of a lifetime! 

EXPLORE MELBOURNE STUDY ABROAD