What I Wish I Knew Before I Went Abroad

Sharon J.

I went abroad in the spring semester of my junior year, and I went in without knowing much of what to expect. So for future and prospective students going abroad with CIEE, here is what I wish I knew before I went abroad!

1. Start planning early, and go early
    • I know some people that rushed their process of going abroad, but there are a lot of deadlines and visas and paperwork that needs to get done, so save yourself some stress and start when you can! I also wish I went abroad earlier in my college career, because I didn’t realize how much I wished to go again, but wouldn’t have the time to do so. 
  2. Go in without expectations
    • Sure, it’s important to have goals and certain expectations for anything, including trips, activities, people, and interactions, but be careful not to be disappointed by any false realities you might have created for yourself through what you may have heard from others or the internet. 
  3. You can’t expect everything that worked in your home country to work the same way here.​
    • Experiences of others are unique to them, and you can create your own. If you’re confused about cultural or societal aspects, don’t complain right away — instead, ask locals why it’s so? See from a new perspective. It’s easy to shift blame and complain, but there’s often a reason for everything, and perhaps by seeing it from different perspectives, it can offer a solution or a way to understand.
  4. Start budgeting and setting up a system early
    • Keeping track of finances might look differently when you’re abroad, and many people underestimate what costs will be like. And for some, it might be the first time putting down what your weekly or monthly spendings are. But it’s helpful to start organizing right as you get there so you have a more accurate idea of your spending during your time abroad.
  5. Take advantage of services
    • CIEE hosts many events throughout the semester, and I am grateful to say that I have thoroughly enjoyed each one I have attended — from cooking classes to archery cafes, from museums to excursions outside of the city — each activity was something I had always wanted to do, but perhaps wouldn’t think of during my time here. CIEE also has many resources available, and I strongly recommend taking advantage of the events and resources! They are so much fun and so helpful.
  6. Look up holidays / important dates
    • During my time abroad, there were many holidays and elections, which impacted classes and when businesses were open. Look ahead so that you can plan trips or learn ways to celebrate holidays like a local!
  7. Pack lightly
    • Pack with space! You will buy souvenirs, clothes, and more. You will also likely not wear some of what you brought if fashion styles or standards are different in your country abroad. Save yourself the hassle when packing to go back home.
  8. Take the local language class
    • Learning a language not only looks cool, but it increases your cultural awareness and literacy. It offers insight into culture and values, and helps to understand social nuances as well. 
  9. Travel
    • Visit areas outside the main city you are in! Do research ahead of time, and ask around, to see what locals most often recommend.
  10. Take classes not normally offered at your home university
    • This is a great way to meet friends with similar interests! Many schools offer a large range of classes that you probably won’t find in your home university, so take advantage of it! Even aside from academic classes, you might be able to take courses like scuba diving, horseback riding, singing lessons, tennis, and more. And also beyond classes, remember to take in any moment that allows for a learning experience, whether it is about culture, history, or even about yourself!