Wearing Hanboks @ Gyeongbok Palace

Anthony T.

This week, CIEE took me to visit Gyeongbok Palace. This event was in partnership with YECCO, which is short for Youth Exchanging Culture Communicators' Organization. YECCO is a non-profit that consists of Korean college students who are willing to embrace diverse cultures.

CIEE placed students into groups and we met at Gyeongbok Palace station, which you can get to via Line 3 on the Korean subway. Once everyone in the group arrived, we began walking to the hanbok rental shop. It was located on a street with a bunch of other hanbok rental stores. (It is very popular to wear a hanbok when visiting Gyeongbok Palace, because you get free admission to the palace if you wear one!)

The selection of hanboks was plentiful! Hanboks came in many different colors and there were accessories, such as hats and bags that you can wear as well, depending on your gender. I chose to wear a hanbok that consisted of a blue top and lilac pants. My top even had a stitching of a golden dragon in the front!

Once everyone put on their hanboks, we went straight to the palace. The palace itself was very spacious. We walked throughout the whole area and was lectured on the palace's history. We even got to take pictures at the palace with our hanboks! This experience was very fun and informative.