Valldemossa: A Peaceful Town in Mallorca (by Clara Copano)

CIEE Palma

Nestled in the beautiful Serra de Tramuntana (UNESCO World Heritage Site), Valldemossa is a town that combines history, culture, and natural beauty. From its famous Coca de Patata to its charming streets and lively festivities, Valldemossa offers an authentic Mallorcan experience.

A Glimpse into History

Valldemossa's history dates back to the 13th century when King James II of Mallorca established a royal monastery here. Before that period, the island was under Muslim domination. According to history, a Muslim nobleman named Mussa settled in this place, so that is why the name Valldemossa literally means “the valley of Mussa”. Over the years the name was derived to the current Valldemossa. Notably, composer Frédéric Chopin spent a winter in town in 1838, leaving his mark on the town's legacy: every year in August Valldemossa hosts the annual Chopin Festival. 

Exploring the Charming Town

The heart of Valldemossa is its quaint streets and town center. Wander through its famous alleys, admire colorful flowers, and visit the Royal Carthusian Monastery of Valldemossa. You'll also find local shops, cafes, and art galleries in the town center.

Coca de Patata: A Must-Try Delight

Valldemossa is famous for its Coca de Patata, a delicious pastry made with potatoes, sugar, and lard. You can find this unique treat in local bakeries and cafes like Ca'n Molinas and Forn de Sant Francesc.

In summary, Valldemossa is a hidden gem in Mallorca. It offers a mix of tasty treats, historical significance, charming alleys, and lively celebrations. Whether you're a history enthusiast, a food lover, or you're just looking for a peaceful getaway, Valldemossa is a place you must visit if you come to Mallorca!