A Trip to Tangier

Summer Arabic Language

CIEE Rabat

Our adventure began at the Hercules Caves, a site that has intrigued travelers for generations. These natural limestone grottoes, nestled just outside Tangier, are believed to be shaped like the continent of Africa, adding to their allure. As we ventured deeper into the caves, we were mesmerized by the breathtaking beauty of sea which greeted us through the caves opening. 

Beyond their geological beauty, the Hercules Caves hold historical importance dating back to ancient civilizations. The Phoenicians, renowned sea explorers, utilized these caves as a port and sanctuary for their ships during their maritime endeavors. Legend has it that the mythical hero Hercules sought refuge here during his epic Twelve Labors, leaving an incredible mark on the caves' ancient lore.

Later, the students were treated to an exciting camel excursion. The oceanic scene that accompanied our camel ride featured none other than the Mediterranean Sea, renowned for its historical significance and stunning beauty.  Camel rides have been an integral part of Moroccan culture for centuries, reflecting the nomadic heritage of the region. As we swayed along the coastal path, we felt a sense of connection to the past, imagining the traders and explorers who once traversed these very lands on camelback.

Author: Danielle Moreau