Information for term Summer Arabic Language
Application deadline, and cost information.
Application DeadlineApril 1, 2018
Program Deadlines and Pricing Info
- Deadline: April 1, 2018
- Dates: May 21 – Jul 16, 2018 (8 weeks)
- Credit: 10 semester hours / 15 quarter hours
- Eligibility: 2.5 Overall GPA
OverviewClick to Open
Gain a highly sought-after skill in the job market when you learn Arabic in the enchanting city of Rabat. You’ll take modern standard and colloquial Arabic courses, then head out into the city to give your new skills a whirl. From bargaining in the medina to visiting fascinating ruins and colonial architecture; from taking part in activities like cooking classes to living with a Moroccan family; we’ll help you experience it all.
See the North African coast,
Casablanca, Chefchaouen, Marrakesh, the village of Ourika, Asilah and Tangiers.
Get Arabic instruction
at just the right level for you.
in real life as you go to museums, NGOs, and cultural events.
Fahrenheit on average in July, Rabat’s hottest month73
year of the city’s founding1146
people living in Rabat3M
Location & CultureClick to Open
Morocco’s capital and second-largest city is home to the country’s most prestigious universities, as well as many international institutions such as UNESCO and the World Bank. Explore the modern and the traditional, from stunning colonial architecture and fascinating ruins to exciting theater and unique art exhibits. Green spaces abound here too, from parks to palm-tree-lined boulevards where you’ll find cafés, restaurants, and shopping centers.
EXCURSIONS & ACTIVITIES
- Visit Rabat’s museums, NGOs, and universities.
- Go on a day trip to Asilah, a 3,500-year-old town on the North African coast that’s been a haven for Phoenicians, pirates, Portuguese, Spanish, Moroccans, and resort-goers.
- Venture to Casablanca, the largest city in Morocco and one of the most important economic centers in Africa.
- Pack a bag for overnight excursions to Chefchaouen, a small town famous for its ubiquitous sky-blue buildings, and Marrakesh, a city in central Morocco built by Amazighs.
- Enjoy cultural activities around Rabat – like calligraphy workshops, visits to the Parliament and other government agencies, cooking classes, live music and pottery making.
- Volunteering: Immerse yourself in Morocco by lending a helping hand to locals in the community – work with descendants of pre-Arab inhabitants of North Africa, hospital patients, visually impaired students, mentally challenged youth, women’s groups, or children from low-income families.
- Peer-to-peer tutoring: CIEE connects you with local Moroccan university students from day one. They’re a part of everyday programming and will help you integrate into Moroccan society.
- Language Partners: Practice and build your language skills by meeting with local Moroccans and discussing topics of common interests.
Daily LifeClick to Open
Homestays: students can choose to live with Arabic-speaking Moroccan families in modern or traditional homes in various neighborhoods throughout Rabat and the outskirts of the city. Families are carefully selected by local CIEE staff members and are matched according to student preferences. Most homes combine Western and traditional Moroccan elements, and families typically are multilingual.
Shared Apartments: Students also have the option of housing in an apartment shared with other program participants.
Homestays: Study abroad host families provide breakfast and dinner on weekdays and weekends.
Shared Apartments: Students staying in an apartment are responsible for all their own meals.
Where You'll Study
Like what you're seeing so far?request more information
What you need to knowThe program details
The CIEE Arabic Language summer study abroad program is designed for intensive language acquisition. This is a rigorous program for focused students seeking the opportunity to strengthen their Arabic language skills. Instructors are natives of Morocco and reflect local cultural norms in their classroom demeanor and pedagogy.
Courses are taught in Arabic.
Faculty and language instructors from a selection of prominent institutions in Rabat come to teach at the CIEE Study Center.
AcademicsClick to Open
Students need to have an overall GPA of at least 2.5.
- Total credit: 10 semester/15 quarter hours.
Summer 2018 CoursesClick to Open
Note: This course listing is for informational purposes only and does not constitute a contract between CIEE and any applicant, student, institution, or other party. The courses, as described, may be subject to change as a result of ongoing curricular revisions, assignment of lecturers and teaching staff, and program development. Courses may be canceled due to insufficient enrollment.
MODERN STANDARD ARABIC COURSES
- ARAB 1501 MORC: Modern Standard Arabic-Beginning I
- ARAB 1502 MORC: Modern Standard Arabic-Beginning II
- ARAB 2501 MORC: Modern Standard Arabic-Intermediate I
- ARAB 2502 MORC: Modern Standard Arabic-Intermediate II
- ARAB 3501 MORC: Modern Standard Arabic-Advanced I
- ARAB 3502 MORC: Modern Standard Arabic-Advanced II
- ARAB 4501 MORC: Modern Standard Arabic-Superior I
COLLOQUIAL MOROCCAN ARABIC
ScholarshipsClick to Open
Scholarships & Grants
In 2016, we awarded over 1,000 scholarships totaling more than $5 million, helping more students get on planes and live their dreams in faraway places than any other organization. This year's no different. In fact, every year we give this unrivaled amount of funding, because we’re on a mission to help YOU go abroad, too! Explore your options today.
Students who apply to this program are eligible for the following scholarships and grants:
- Global Access Initiative (GAIN) Grants
- CIEE Gilman Go Global Grant
To be considered, submit the CIEE Scholarships & Grants application within your CIEE program application. Learn more at the Scholarships & Grants section of our website.See more scholarship info
Dates, Deadlines & FeesClick to Open
Dates, Deadlines & Fees
You get more for every dollar when you study abroad with CIEE, because our high-quality programs include everything from excursions to insurance. There are no hidden charges, and no disappointing surprises when you arrive.
YOUR FEE INCLUDES:
- Advising before you depart to set goals and answer questions
- Optional on-site airport meet-and-greet
- Three-day orientation – an introduction to Dutch culture, your academic program, and the city, plus practical information about living in your host city
- Full-time program leadership and support in your host city
- Field trips and cultural activities
- Overnight excursions
- Insurance and other travel benefits, with CIEE iNext
To help you budget, keep in mind that students are responsible for the cost of international airfare, local transportation, books and supplies, visas, and personal expenses. In addition, ask your college or university study abroad advisor if your school charges additional fees for study abroad.
No Hidden Fees
|Summer 2018 8 weeks|
|Apr 1, 2018|
|May 21, 2018|
|Jul 16, 2018|
Fees & Housing
Click to Close
Participation Confirmation = $300 *
Educational Costs = $6,143 **
Housing = $1,240 ***
Insurance = $167Total Fees = $7,850
Meals not included in program fee = $540 †
International Airfare = $1,250 ††
Local Transportation = $140
Books & Supplies = $100
Visa Fees = $100
Personal expenses = $800Total Estimated Costs = $2,930
** direct cost of education charged uniformly to all students
*** includes two meals a day (breakfast and dinner) for students in homestays; meals are not included for students in apartments
† for students in homestays to cover meals not provided; students in apartments should budget at least $950 for all meals.
†† round-trip based on U.S. East Coast departure
Looking for funding?
Our StaffClick to Open
Get StartedHere's what you need to do to take the next steps:
START AN APPLICATIONApply Now
You're one step closer to an amazing study abroad experience!
CONNECT WITH YOUR CAMPUS STUDY ABROAD OFFICE
Share your plans and confirm you're on track to meet all required steps to go abroad.
Contact an Advisor
Send us an email if you still have questions or need information about applying to this program.