Summer / Fall Students Arrive in Rio

Our program began on the heels of what is being called one of the greatest World Cups in history, held in 13 different cities in Brazil with the final being played out at the Maracanã Stadium in Rio de Janeiro. But when it was over it was time to get to work. Our month long Intensive Language and Culture Course is certainly intense. CIEE knows the importance of learning the local language if the goal is to learn about the host culture. Along with 75 classroom hours and 30 outside the classroom hours our students worked hard and CIEE staff dug as deep as possible to introduce our students to the fascinating city of Rio de Janeiro and the Brazilian culture. Cultural Activities during the month long program included a tour of the city including the Tijuca Forest and the Christ the Redeemer Statue, a samba lesson with a night at a samba school rehearsal, a soccer match the famous Maracanâ Stadium, guest lectures, movie nights, a percussion lesson in a favela, a theatre night and more.

Our students participated in a Samba lesson with professionals from the Mangueira Samba School (above), then spent a late night dancing samba at the Salgueiro Samba school (below).

When CIEE staff finds a local cultural gem taking place in Rio we love to turn it into a student activity. For example, Clementina Cadê Você? is a wonderful musical that tells about the history of samba in Rio de Janeiro. Our students loved it.