Spring 2017, Issue I

Alicja Nemoudry

NewsletterBannerPrague686x101

From Vienna to Copenhagen   

Students of the Global Architecture and Design program have been working hard during their time in Prague. As a sweet academic reward, CIEE orgnized two academic trips for them. One of them was to Vienna, the other one to Copenhagen.

On one of the Fridays, the whole Global Architecture and Design crew departed to Vienna – one of the most historical and precious cities in Europe. Since our students are focusing mostly on architecture and art, the group visited interesting places such as the Albertina (the most famous museum of art), the Architecture Centre or the Museum of Applied Arts.

GAD_pic_1

In order to better understand the history of Vienna, students took a historic tour of the city and paid a visit to Schloss Schonbrunn, the home of Empress Sisi and other members of the Austrian aristocracy.

GAD_pic_2

According to our students, the highlight of the trip was the visit of the Hundertwasserhaus. This amazing building is an apartment house in Vienna built by Friedensreich Hundertwasser and Joseph Krawina. Our travelers appreciated all of the interesting architectural shapes and the idea that each habitant should have the right to create a part of the house.

Later in March, Global Architecture and Design program students from Barcelona, Berlin and Prague met in Copenhagen. Denmark greeted them all with beautiful weather and there was a lot to explore.

During the first day, all students gathered in the CITA (Centre for Information Technology and Architecture). Firstly, all participants had the opportunity to meet the studio leaders from CITA, after which all students presented their projects. These presentations resulted in a fruity discussions not only between the students, but also between the Academic Coordinators of all centers.

GAD_pic_3

The plan for the next day was to discover the city. Taking into account the fact that we were in Copenhagen, there was no better way to explore the city than on bikes! In just a few hours, all participants saw the most important and interesting architectural perks of Copenhagen.

GAD_pic_4