So, they told you to do whatever you want

Ilse H.

A possibly helpful guide to not getting lost in the candy shop

As someone who didn’t know anyone else coming on the program, leaving quarantine was scary. Once I left, my eyes were attacked by options stacked upon options of things to do (literally). I was honestly more confused than I could have thought possible by buildings that housed multiple types of cafés and shops. It was like being in a grocery store that carries every single one of your favorite things.

Suffice it to say, I had decision paralysis. To save you from my fate, I will offer you some fun and diverse things to do when you arrive in Seoul and are tired of, “I’m fine with whatever. How about you?” These activities range from group activities to solo excursions, and I have a bit of everything (even for the people who like hiking, eee).

Cafés

An activity that many have near the top of their bucket list in Seoul is café hopping, so here are some destinations for photos, good pastries/drinks, and studying. These cafés are good for the solo days or a group of friends.

1. Potid (Harry Potter café, study spot, Sinchon)
  2. Moonbear (solo study spot, tasty lemon madeleine, Sinchon)
  3. Café Hwasil (Art café, Gangnam)
  4. 943 King’s Cross (Harry Potter café, multi-level, Hongdae)

Aesthetics-wise, Potid and 943 are probably some of the best options here if you’re a harry potter fan. Moonbear has a crisp aesthetic, but the best features are the delicious treats and kind staff who speak Korean at a reasonable pace, so that I can understand them clearly without anxiety.

Shopping

I love shopping, both for wonky asymmetrical shirts and things like stationery and art supplies, so here are some recommendations for your diverse shopping needs.

1. Homi Art Store (for the art nerds like me)
  2. Shopping near Hongik station and Gangnam Station (clothing)
    1. Mixxo (Clothing basics, Gangnam)
    2. Brand Market (Budget clothing, trendy, Gangnam, Hongdae)
  3. Ipark Mall (Everything, Yongsan Station)
  4. Artbox (stationary, art supplies, hair dryers, etc., Sinchon)
  5. MorningGlory (stationary, Mapo-gu)

Homi Art Store is a haven (and money trap) for me personally and always a delight. The are near Homi Art Store also boasts a wide range of clothes shopping and food options that are always fun to explore. Gangnam Station has a large if a bit confusing underground shopping area and the area around it is also filled with shops and even a CGV movie theater.

Historical/Shopping

For people who are searching for a more historical, Hanok village aesthetic, these areas have both an area of classicism and lots of fun souvenirs that feel a bit more Korea specific. You could also wear a Hanbok (Korean traditional garb) in most of these areas and taking some eye-catching photos for your future memories.

1. Insadong
    1. Family Seal-making – Myung Sin Dang
    2. Shopping in Insadong main street
    3. Modern styled hanbok
  2. Ikseondong
    1. Hanok alley
    2. Clothes shopping
    3. Restaurants along main street
  3. Gyeongbokgung Palace (recommend as a group activity and wear hanboks for free admission!)

Gyeongbokgung and Ikseondong will get you some of your most beautiful pictures if you go at the right times.

For the active folks

Finally, if you’ve been searching for some things that are a bit more active, here are a few things that might interest you.

1. Hiking Mount Ansan (Near Yonsei)
  2. VR Café Ipark mall (Yongsan)
  3. Boat ride (Han River)
  4. Roller skating (Gangbook Roller Skate)

I have to say I could have enjoyed roller skating more, but I think if you go with people you know, or are confident in your skating skills, it will be a pleasant experience. Plus, the music is very fun.