Questions of science, science and progress

Sustainability + the Environment

Dr. Alan Masters

Part of our experience in Monteverde consist on independent projects that we develop during our home stays...the best part of it? It's totally ours! With our professors help we think in our own idea and what about our surroundings can we investigate.After some days we design our methodology and here we go!!! doing science by our own..

After one month of data collection, we will like to introduce you our projects:

Megan Kruse 

Question of the project: Does Momotus lessonii use the tail-wag display as a signal of territoriality?

Major findings:

Conclusions:Lesson's Motmots are territorial

Megan Kruse.Forest & Wildlife Ecology.UW-Madison.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Colleen Egan

Question: What is the distribution of bryophyte-dwelling arthropods and are these effects of a decrease in moisture level during dry season?

Major findings:

There was a statistically difference in arthropod abundance in the tree section.

Conclusion:Due to significant arthropod abundance in the canopy, but overall evenness of richness and significant diversity at the base, it can be concluded that height is not the driving factor in variation

-Colleen Egan.University of Pittsburgh.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Andrea Lukas

Purpose: Compare the strength of both public and private schools enviromental education curricula pertaining to climate change to evaluate their effectiveness in a location where climate change's impact are evident(Monteverde, Costa Rica).

Major findings:

There was a difference of knowledge about climate change between the different classes in private and public schools

Conclusions:Highlights the need for further curricular reform

-Andrea Lukas.School of Education, University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Jeffrey Palm

Question:How is mammal diversity and abundance affected by the impacts of a forest edge?

Major findings:

There was a difference in the diversity of mammals in the middle vs interior and interior vs edge.

There was not a significant difference between edge, middle and interior in the number of individuals of mammals.

Conclusions:Forest edge has a negative impact on mammal diversity.

-Jeffrey Palm. Nelson Institute of Environmental Studies.University of Wisconsin-Madison