New Zealand Slang Words: Top 20 Words You Should Know

When deciding to study abroad in New Zealand, language learning may not be the first thing to come to mind, but during your time abroad you’re sure to come across your fair share of New Zealand slang. If you’re unfamiliar, English is the predominant language spoken in New Zealand, and New Zealanders speak with their own distinct accent, characterized by unique vowel sounds, often described as a blend of Australian and British influences with New Zealander inflections. 

Pairing the New Zealander accent with New Zealand slang, you’re in for a bit of a learning curve abroad. Fear not, though! In this guide, we'll cover common New Zealand slang words and New Zealand slang phrases you should know to navigate through your study abroad adventure with ease. 

The top 20 New Zealand slang words and phrases you should know are:

1. Kia Ora
  2. Kiwi
  3. Sweet As
  4. Chur
  5. Yeah, Nah
  6. Jandals
  7. Tramping
  8. Togs
  9. Chilly Bin
  10. She'll Be Right
  11. Bro
  12. Dairy
  13. Batch
  14. Rugby
  15. Munted
  16. Wop-Wops
  17. Heaps
  18. Duvet Day
  19. Mint
  20. Choice

20 Top New Zealand Slang Words You Should Know 

There are a ton of New Zealand slang words, but we’ll introduce you to just 20 to set you up for success. Maybe some of the more popular words will be familiar to you, while others will be brand new. Either way, read on for our complete Top 20 New Zealand slangs. 

New Zealand Slang #1: Kia Ora 

Let's start with a simple one. "Kia Ora" is a traditional Māori greeting commonly used in New Zealand, meaning "hello" or "welcome." It's a great way to start conversations and show respect for the local Māori culture. 

New Zealand Slang #2: Kiwi  

No, not the fruit. In New Zealand, a "kiwi" refers to a native New Zealander, as well as the country's iconic flightless bird. Embrace your inner Kiwi during your time abroad! 

New Zealand Slang #3: Sweet As 

This ubiquitous Kiwi phrase is used to express agreement, satisfaction, or approval. If someone asks you how your day was and you reply, "Sweet as," it means everything went well. 

New Zealand Slang #4: Chur  

Similar to "thanks" or "cheers," "chur" is a versatile term used to express gratitude or acknowledgment. You'll hear it often in casual conversations among Kiwis. 

New Zealand Slang #5: Yeah, Nah 

Kiwis have a unique way of expressing ambivalence. "Yeah, nah" is used to politely decline or disagree with something, often followed by an explanation or alternative suggestion. 

new zealand students cable mountain naval academy

New Zealand Slang #6: Jandals 

Short for "Japanese sandals," “jandals” are what New Zealanders call flip-flops. They're the go-to footwear for Kiwis during the summer months. 

New Zealand Slang #7: Tramping  

No, it doesn't involve anything scandalous. "Tramping" in New Zealand simply means hiking or trekking through the great outdoors. With its breathtaking landscapes, “tramping” is a popular pastime for locals and visitors alike. 

New Zealand Slang #8: Togs 

When Kiwis talk about putting on their "togs," they're referring to swimwear or bathing suits. So, if someone invites you to hit the beach, don't forget your “togs!” 

New Zealand Slang #9: Chilly Bin 

Instead of a cooler or icebox, Kiwis use the term "chilly bin" to refer to a portable container for keeping food and drinks cold, especially during picnics or barbecues. 

New Zealand Slang #10: She’ll Be Right 

This laid-back Kiwi expression is used to convey a sense of reassurance or optimism. If someone tells you, "She'll be right," it means everything will work out fine or that there's no need to worry. 

new zealand skyline

New Zealand Slang #11: Bro 

Similar to "mate" or "buddy," "bro" is a friendly term of address used between friends or acquaintances. It's commonly used in both casual and formal settings. 

New Zealand Slang #12: Dairy 

In New Zealand, a "dairy" isn't just a place to buy milk and cheese. It refers to a convenience store or corner shop where you can purchase a variety of everyday items. 

New Zealand Slang #13: Batch  

Kiwis love their beach holidays, and many families own a "batch," which is a simple holiday home or beach house where they can escape for weekends or vacations. 

New Zealand Slang #14: Rugby 

Okay, so "rugby" isn't exactly slang, but it's worth mentioning because it's practically a religion in New Zealand. Kiwis are passionate about rugby, so familiarize yourself with the sport to join in on the excitement. 

New Zealand Slang #15: Munted 

When something is "munted" in New Zealand, it means it's broken, damaged, or in a state of disrepair. It's a colorful term that you might hear when referring to anything from a car to a relationship. 

New Zealand Slang #16: Wop-Wops 

If someone mentions going to the "wop-wops," they're talking about a remote or isolated area, far from civilization. New Zealand's rugged terrain means there are plenty of “wop-wops” to explore. 

New Zealand Slang #17: Heaps  

Kiwis use "heaps" to mean "a lot" or "plenty." For example, if someone tells you there are “heaps” of hiking trails in New Zealand, it means there are plenty to choose from. 

New Zealand Slang #18: Duvet Day 

Similar to a "mental health day" or a "personal day" in other parts of the world, a "duvet day" is when you take a day off from work or school to relax and recharge under your cozy duvet. 

new zealand flag mountain students

New Zealand Slang #19: Mint 

When something is described as "mint" in New Zealand, it means it's excellent, fantastic, or in perfect condition. It's a positive slang term that's often used to express admiration or approval. 

New Zealand Slang #20: Choice 

Last but not least, "choice" is a Kiwi slang term used to indicate that something is excellent, great, or of high quality. Whether it's a delicious meal or a memorable experience, if it's “choice,” it's worth celebrating. 

New Zealand is Calling 

Armed with these 20 Kiwi New Zealand slang words, you're well-equipped to dive headfirst into the vibrant culture of New Zealand during your study abroad adventure. Embrace the language, embrace the culture, and most importantly, embrace the adventure that awaits you abroad.  

Kia kaha (stay strong) and enjoy your Kiwi experience to the fullest! 

EXPLORE NEW ZEALAND STUDY ABROAD