My Time at Magpie Dance

Summer Global Internship

Global Internships

Hear from Global Intern and Muhlenberg College student, Madeline, who participated in the CIEE Summer Global Internship program in London and interned with Magpie Dance - the UK’s leading dance charity for people with learning disabilities. 

MY TIME AT MAGPIE DANCE

My time at Magpie Dance has been so incredibly rewarding. This whole experience was new for me as I have never had an office job previously and all of my work experience has been teaching mainstream dance classes at my local dance school.

Additionally, this has been my first time in Europe so this whole adventure very quickly became an international learning experience. By the end of the first week I realized that this was going to be a fabulous summer. Every person I have interacted with at Magpie Dance helped me learn and grow, and for that I am incredibly grateful. As I have learnt to say, my time here has been ‘’brilliant’’.

To the facilitators: Thank you for allowing me to fully participate in your sessions. I have learned more than I ever thought I would about inclusive dance and the importance of a safe and inviting space for all dancers to have fun. I had an incredible experience in all of the sessions I attended.

To the office staff: Thank you for trusting me with such a wide variety of tasks. You have each been so giving with your time and kindness from spreadsheets, to British currency to the nuances of the British Education System. I had a wonderful time working with you and each of you helped me have a wonderful time in London. Thank you for everything.

To the participants: Thank you for keeping me on my toes and making sure I remembered all of your dances!  You have all been so kind and welcoming.  You are incredible artists and I had so much fun dancing with each of you!