My favorite Spanish cafes, restaurants, and markets

By: Masani Salazar

Being in Barcelona, Spain for the majority of my fall semester has been a great food adventure. This study abroad opportunity has enabled me to taste and try new Spanish foods and drinks. I do not consider myself a picky eater and for my goal this semester I chose to mostly eat spanish cuisine and tapas. This choice that I made about the food immersion made it easier for me to pick new spots to eat at. Most of these are my favorite authentic Spanish cafes, restaurants, and markets to go back to. I hope that these suggestions help someone choose where to go and try a new type of food. 

Cafes and bubble tea shops 

Ombu cafe 

I specifically like this one since it is within walking distance from my architecture school. It has always been able to serve my needs for a nice quiet study spot while providing wifi, electricity sockets, and caffeine! I've been to many other cafes and this one specifically has a great ambiance and big windows on both sides that bring in natural daylight. The theme of this cafe is decorated in a bohemian style and also feels well-kept and friendly inside. You would think that this place would be expensive from the way it looks with all of its plants but in reality, the prices of the drinks are more than fair. When ordering a heavy caffeinated drink or espresso it usually comes with a cup of small water or a tiny cookie. In comparison to other cafes, no other cafe has given me complimentary water or cookies like they do every time. 

Indigo cafe and brunch 

This cafe is another one of my favorite study spots was fortunate enough to find Indigo Cafe. This modern cafe spot has a ton of cozy seating arrangements with sockets and a variety of coffee drinks and food. I thought that their drinks tasted rich and made with quality ingredients so the prices that they ask for are semi-decent. Once I started studying it was easy for me to focus because of how quiet and calm the environment is. The environment is decorated in a indigo aesthetic with comfortable nooks, and bright lighting. 

Chinese tofu magician 

This may not be a Spanish-themed cafe but I do love enjoying a boba drink and thought of mentioning this authentic boba gem. Inside the setup of the place looks very organized, and has a clean and bright area that has wifi. Although their menu can be daunting because of the huge selection of over 15 different drink options to choose from. I would say the prices are on the more moderate & pricier side of the scale. But I would suggest it is worth it for when you want an occasional sweet treat. After the first time I tasted my drink I was obsessed with how good it tasted, Thought the price was worth the amount they give back. I can tell that compared to other boba stores that I've been to they do put enough time and energy into the preparation of the boba. 

Spanish Restaurants

Porvenir

This restaurant is based on Galician Spanish food and is one of my favorites because I've been at least 3 times for a nice dinner. They have a ton of seafood and tapas that are always super fresh and yummy. They are a dinner restaurant that is a little higher up than a simple chain restaurant but it is so very worth it! Even though the prices are a bit high they give you a whole plate filled with olive oil and tomato bread they also do the same overflowing concept with their seafood platter which fills me up every time. After you eat and pay they usually give the table  a free shot to the table which is a traditional custom I highly recommend. 

El Tros de La Rambla 

This restaurant is categorized as Catalan Mediterranean food and it is very nice and tasty. It is very casual you can either go for a quick lunch or a nice family dinner. They also grow their food in an orchard where all of their freshness comes from. They have everything from Tapas, paella, snacks, meat and sangria. From a Catalan resident who is my host mom, she says this is one of the best places to try and I agree.

Tapa Tapa

Another suggestion I have is this popular tapas restaurant which is easy and affordable. Their menu isn't too crazy so it does make it easier to pinpoint which tapa you want. My favorite tapas to get are croquettes, patatas bravas, iberian ham and olives. This place is a chain but they do have chefs and fresh ingredients all the time so the flavor and experience of trying their tapas makes the experience fun. 

Markets

Boqueria market

This market is one of my favorite places to go for a variety of food options. Saint Joseph market is very well known for being the first local market for Barcelona and is also located in the famous Gothic quarter. What to expect when entering is how busy and full it is going to be with tourists and some locals, every time I’ve been it is often chaotic. What to expect when entering is seeing a mountain of different types of produce, especially colorful fruits, smoothies, and juices. Other food that is abundantly sold is seafood, meats, and charcuterie cheese items. Some other vendors may even sell spices such as saffron, homemade toffee, and alcoholic drinks.  Instead of buying separate ingredient items they also have a ton of options for individual small tapas that are authentic and delicious. One of my favorite foods that they have there is the empanada station and fried burrito stand these food items are not usually paired together. After having a main savory meal there are a ton of options for a sweet treat such as pastries, chocolates & candy. 

Sant Antoni market

One day when I exploring my neighborhood I stumbled across the Sant Antoni neighborhood. Inside the main plazas, I was immediately attracted to the facade of this market because it had gold detailing contrasting with red paint behind it. If you want to go to a market that is less crowded this option would be ideal. Even though it may seem like it's only for the neighborhood it is not and is open to the public. Inside you can find similar Boqueria food items such as produce, seafood, meat, tapas, and desserts. One of the different items they sell is clothing items such as jackets, tops shirts, and undergarments. Browsing at the prices I was surprised at how affordable these clothes are and they seemed to be really good quality as well!