Moments to Bottle Up

Ramona W.

In my mind I keep track of the moments when I feel most content, most at peace with the world, the most myself. Seoul, being such a vibrant city that grabs ahold of you, is consistently exceeding my expectations and gifting me these memories. In this post I’d like to share just a few and give you a taste of the allure. 

In the beginning of our semester here CIEE took us on an overnight excursion to Yeongju where we got to appreciate the countryside of Korea, participate in ancient music and marriage customs, and visit the serene Buseoksa temple. We cabined in historical Korean one room houses and felt an important disconnect from the constant commotion of Seoul. After a full day of cultural learning, my friends and I gathered together in one of the huts to decompress. We picked up a bit of Baekseju from a local convenience store and formed a circle to play spin the bottle truth or dare. Looking back, this night is one that strengthened my abroad friendships. It was an evening of non stop laughter and comradery - one we were only able to experience from taking a break from dorm life. I could live in that moment forever with them!

Seoul nightlife transforms the metropolis into a completely new center of modern life. On weekend nights, my friends and I will make our way to Hongdae or Itaewon where edm and hip hop clubs populate the streets. Dynamic colorful lights and booming tunes fight against the dark of night. Dancing in these joints alongside locals and other travelers is such a lively atmosphere to unwind in; clubbing in Seoul is an experience like no other.

For another CIEE excursion we were treated with a visit to Busan to experience the International Busan Film Festival. Busan, a large port city known for its beaches, seafood, and mountains, is also home to Haedong Yonggungsa temple by the sea. While walking around the cliffs of this Buddhist temple I was captivated by its intricately painted shrines and structures; dragons and seamen adorn the walls in vibrant blue and red hues. I left the crowds to climb to the highest point of the site. Looking out at the vast East Sea and sweeping views of the temple in the rocks, I felt proud of the artistic talent of humans, in awe of nature, and utterly at peace.