Life in Quarantine

Summer Korean Studies

Sophie B.

Dear Blog,

It is my eighth day in quarantine. I am beyond excited that I am so close to being freed into Seoul, finally meeting my counterparts and exploring everything that this city and country has to offer. This time here has been an interesting and a bit of a challenging one, to say the least. The first two quarantine days, I felt emotionally, physically, and mentally content. That went downhill quickly. On the third day, at three in the morning, not yet used to the time change (and I still am not), I woke up with many small red itchy bumps all over my body. My worst fear was happening. Were they bed bugs? An allergic reaction? I didn’t know and was in a panic. I called down to the front desk and got Splaisir Hotel’s doctor to come up and check my rash. The medical staff informed me about my most significant worry: bed bugs. Fortunately, they are highly uncommon in South Korea and none were seen lurking on the floor or within the mattress. Therefore they conveyed the thought of a possible allergic reaction. I thought, “an allergic reaction?” I have never had an allergic reaction in my whole life- no foods, no fabrics, no medicines, no cleaning products could give me an allergic reaction. 

The hotel delivered new bedding and pillows in hopes of being the cure to my itchiness and redness. Hours later, I realized the bumps were even worse, more prominent, and itchier. I called down to bear the message; the hotel was very accommodating and switched me to a suite on the 17th floor. The room is fantastic, so cozy, and much cleaner. Not only that, but my rash has been getting better as well. Who really knows where and why it came about- it may be an outcome of unintentional stress. 

This period of quarantine in a completely foreign country to myself, in a room alone, has brought newfound independence into my life that I had no clue I had. Ever since I was young, I never did well being alone. I am very much a people person and find myself the happiest when surrounded by friends and family. Going into these two weeks, I was slightly nervous and concerned for my mental and emotional well-being. However, it has been so much easier than I originally anticipated. I have been able to accomplish  many things while learning more about myself. I have been reading non-stop, catching up with friends and family, working out, Zoom-ing with CIEE members, and binge-watching movies. 

I am so grateful and fortunate to have an opportunity like this in Seoul, South Korea. 

Quarantine is going a lot better than expected.

I am so ready to see Seoul!

Sincerely,

Sophie