Liberal Arts | Spring 2018 | Newsletter III

Spring semester is gone and we wish students had an enriching cultural experience in Barcelona. Here it is some of their experiences:  

HOST FAMILY BOUNDING

Matt from Vanderbilt University had a wonderful experience with his host family. They did activities together; excursions, day trips and even dressing up for Mardi Gras! He commented he had a great experience, he practiced his Spanish a lot and he recommends it to future students.

“A STEREOTYPE IS A SIMPLIFIED IMAGE OF A REALITY”

Emily from Vanderbilt University took the UPF class: “From stereotypes to transcultural dialogue: A Critical Approach to culture” where she learned about how to develop a critical perspective of a new culture. This is her final project:

Liberal Arts Program Spring 18 from CIEE Barcelona on Vimeo.

RE-ENTRY WORKSHOP TO LEARN STRATEGIES FOR ADJUSTMENT BACK IN THE STATES

Liberal Arts students participated in the Re-entry Workshop, a session dedicated to reflect on their experience studying abroad in Barcelona, to understand the re-entry process and challenges, to learn strategies for adjustment and ways to stay globally engaged and how to incorporate their experiences into their daily lives. One of the activities consisted in sharing their best memory of the semester while forming a web between them, symbolizing their interconnection. Some of the best memories of our students shared were related to their experiences living with a host family, meeting new friends and travelling.