Language + Culture, Fall 2017, Newsletter II

Language + Culture

Fernando Janeiro

Fall semester is going fast! Language and Culture students have been very busy with classes, some internships, cultural activities, and academic trips. Find here some details.

“I love that I have been set such different tasks, from making videos to interviewing cool bands!”

Rebecca from Northeastern University is doing an internship in Lamono, a lifestyle magazine based in Barcelona.  She is working as a video editor, animator and article writer. She is currently working on a promotional video for the new issue, 'Voyeur', showing viewers where abouts they can pick up a printed copy around the city. 

Rebecca commented: I absolutely love working at Lamono, it's a super cool vibe and the stuff the company produces is right up my street! It's hip, fresh and innovative in their field. Everyone who works there are amazing and the amount of work they produce for such a small team is truly impressive! I love that I have been set such different tasks, from making gifs to interviewing cool bands! I think that's my favorite part of working there, the range of cool stuff that I get to do and the freedom that the company allows me to do! 

For example, I got to write an article on Rave culture in Britain, and presenting different photographers along with it!  I learnt so much and it was awesome to discover these photographers.

You can find her articles here: http://lamonomagazine.com/treinta-anos-despues-los-britanicos-siguen-enamorados-cultura-rave/

http://lamonomagazine.com/lamonochats-hus-y-el-renovado-sonido-nordico-de-kakkmaddafakka/

Don Quixote, first edition: 1605

Students taking the CIEE course Literary Images of Catalonia and Spain did an onsite class at the Catalonian National Library. There, they saw the first edition of the Don Quixote by Cervantes dated on 1605! and had a tour of the Library. 

Visit to the Catalan Parliament

Students at the CIEE Past and Present in Barcelona course had an on-site class at the Catalan Parliament. The visit was especially interesting due to the current political situation in Catalonia with the independence movement. Students had the opportunity to be at the parliament seats and learned about the reestablishment of the Catalan Parliament in 1980 after the dictatorship.