How To: KTX (Korea's Bullet Train)

Caroline R.

Heyo! 

I just recently took a KTX train for the first time and thought I would share my experience. 

I decided to take a trip to Busan for the weekend and took a KTX train there and back! The process of booking was fairly easy, and so was getting on and off the train. Overall, it was incredibly efficient and super easy to navigate. 

Purchasing: First, to book, go to Rail Ninja's website (I put it below) and make sure that you choose your to and from location. If you want a round trip or one-way, and input your dates! You will then get directed to the different trains and their times. Make sure that you choose a KTX train if that is what you want. There is another train called the intercity train or KoRail (which you can also book on this website). This train takes longer but is cheaper than the KTX. After you choose your train and the type of seating, either economy or first class, for the way there and back (if you choose a round trip), you will pay and then get a confirmation email about it. ***You cannot choose an exact seat as they are assigned randomly***. If you book your train with someone else who is going with you, both of you should get to sit together, though. You will eventually receive your ticket(s) via email after verification. Before you get to leave for your trip, please print your tickets in case anything goes wrong!

At the Station: So, on the day of your train, you will travel to the Seoul Station! I would recommend being there about 45 min-1 hour before your train leaves. There aren't typically any train changes or delays but you never know! When you get there, you will look for your train number on the large electronic boards. Your printed tickets will serve as your tickets, so you do not need to exchange them for a different type of ticket or stand in any ticketing lines. You should sit and wait after you find your train, the time, and the track. Sometimes, you will need to wait to see your train on the board as well as wait for a track number. 

Getting to the Train: I recommend going to your track about 25 minutes before your train leaves. There is a mini convenience store on the platform where you can buy drinks and snacks to take on the train. You may also bring other foods and drinks on as well. On your ticket, you will see a number such as 17/6c on your ticket. The first number is the car that you will be sitting in. Then, the second number and letter is the seat in the car that you will sit in. So, in this case, I would be in car 17 in seat 6c. There are numbers on the cars and platforms as well as numbers inside the car to show where you sit. Go to the car number on the platform's ground or hanging from the ceiling and wait for the train. 

On the Train: Once the train gets there, find your seat. There is overhead storage for bags or luggage. There are also luggage storage areas in between cars for bigger pieces of luggage. Please note that the train will leave without you and leaves exactly at the time that is listed as the departure time. Throughout the train ride, there will be Korean and English announcements about what stop is next. Once you reach your stop, grab your belongings and get off, then leave the station. It's that easy! Again, please be ready to go before your train officially stops so that you ensure you get off before the train departs again. If you are going to Busan, you don't have to worry about getting off fast as that is the last stop the train makes!! The KTX is quick and efficient, and you don't have to talk to anyone!

Rail Ninjahttps://rail.ninja/korean-trains?utm_source=ktxtrains.com&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=button

Talk Soon, 

Caroline :)