Holiday Season in Seville: Christmas Markets

By: Calie Champoux

Europe boasts numerous holiday markets, and certain cities stand out for hosting exceptional ones. Seville is among the standout choices. Its illuminated streets provide a picturesque journey from market to market, offering a delightful experience. I've had the privilege of exploring a few, and here are my recommended ones.

The Feria del Belén, one of Seville's earliest markets, commences its operations in late October or early November. Nestled next to the stunning Cathedral of Seville, it boasts a prime location. Operating from 10 am to 2 pm and 5 pm to 9 pm, the market offers ample shopping opportunities throughout the day. While its primary focus is on nativity scene figurines, you'll also discover a selection of quirky and unique items. It's an ideal destination for finding a thoughtful gift for a mother or picking up a small figurine for a younger sibling. While the market itself doesn't offer food, you can indulge in roasted chestnuts, pastries, and gelato available along the opposite side of the cathedral.

For a laid-back market experience, head over to the Mercado Navideño de la Alameda. Situated in a trendy, youthful area, its stalls showcase a diverse range of goods, from local art to delectable street food—trust me, the churros are a must-try! While its operating hours might be a bit unclear, a Saturday afternoon is an ideal time to explore. Surrounding the square, you'll find bars and restaurants, making it the perfect opportunity to visit the market, grab some food, and enjoy the beginning of the night in the vibrant Alameda!

My final suggestion is the Feria de la Artesanía Creativa situated in Plaza Nueva! This market is a treasure trove for holiday souvenirs that will delight the entire family. Brimming with Andalusian-style jewelry, toys, and clothing, it's a perfect destination for unique gifts. Locals deem it the city's most significant Christmas market, making it an absolute must-visit!

Seville is a holiday market haven, offering a blend of tradition, charm, and unique finds. From the early festivities at Feria del Belén near the magnificent Cathedral of Seville to the laid-back ambiance of Mercado Navideño de la Alameda, and the artisan treasures at Feria de la Artesanía Creativa in Plaza Nueva, each market contributes to the city's vibrant festive tapestry.