A High School K-Drama Dream at Everland & Seoulmate Activity at Lotte World

Hunter L.

Never experienced an amusement park in Korea? Lotte World and Everland are the two most popular parks attracting families… and young adults. Especially in Lotte World, you will see young adults, not teenagers, wearing high school uniforms around the parks. 

Photo for blog post A High School K-Drama Dream at Everland & Seoulmate Activity at Lotte World

Students study everyday from morning to night. Schools run until late afternoons. After, some students continue their studies at tutoring academies and most go back home to finish schoolwork. Education and college is heavily emphasized in youth, so adolescents have no time to have fun until they get into college. 

Tourists get to live their high school or K-drama dream in the parks. There are stores that specialize in high school uniform rentals, ranging from 15,000 to 30,000 won.

In 2019, I went to Lotte World with the New York Times Student Journeys high school summer program (no longer exists). On that day, schools just got out of spring semester and students were eager to go out. The park was packed with young adults wearing high school uniforms left and right. It was a personal cultural shock when I found out about the concept. 

This time, I got to try it in Everland. It was funny wearing it because the clothing was eye-catching and illusive that other tourists thought my friends and I were high school students. Moreover, I felt more youthful and energetic wearing the uniform. I definitely suggest everyone to experience wearing the uniforms while visiting the parks

The day before, the CIEE Seoulmates host invited my small group to try ice skating at Lotte World. It was another cultural exchange experience with a different student. The host tried her best to communicate and bond despite the language barrier. Nevertheless, I tried my best to be social with the host. I hope the connections become stronger as the semester continues and more exchange activities will happen. 

If you want to see what I am currently up to, follow me on Instagram @hunter.leong 

To see more about my life in college and my past summer experiences, check out my Youtube @Go_Hengjian