Global Internships 101: How to be a "Green" Traveler

Global Internships

Have you ever thought about travelling abroad? There is a lot that goes into that! From packing to your flight, to engaging in a new culture. The environment is our best natural resource, and we want to be conscious of that when we make decisions to travel, live, work, and intern abroad. Here are our top 10 tips for keeping it an eco-friendly experience!

Photo for blog post Global Internships 101: How to be a "Green" Traveler

Unplug…

Your home! Before you head out on your adventure, make sure you have unplugged all major appliances (okay leave your fridge on…). Even when you aren’t using something, if it is plugged it, it seeps energy from the power grid. Bonus – it saves your electric bill.

Leave the extra clothes behind

Every ounce matters when you are flying abroad. The more a plane weighs, the more carbon emissions it produces while moving. Plus, how many times did you regret bringing that extra pair of pants you decided not to wear anyways…Pack only what you need – our environment will thank you upon arrival in your new city.

Take a non-stop flight

Take-off and landing produce the most environmental waste. If you can cut back on the number of times you take off and land, you will be travelling a bit greener.

Ride locally

Taking public transportation cuts down on the number of vehicles on the road. Try the train, water taxi, or bus. Plus, your new best friend may be sitting next to you – it’s a great chance to get to know the working community!

Do not disturb

Treat your hotel room like you would your own room. That means reusing towels, sheets, and not leaving the lights or air conditioning/heat on when you head out. If you hang your “Do Not Disturb” sign, it tells housekeeping you are passing on the day’s refresh.

Stay hydrated

But from your own personal, refillable water bottle. Did you know that plastic bottles require up to 700 years to dissolve, and 80% of plastic water bottles never even get the chance to be recycled? Don’t be that person…

Eat, drink, and shop local

By supporting your local farmers and brewers you are reducing import mileage from other places – cutting down on your own carbon footprint. Don’t forget to check where your souvenirs are made – are they from sustainable sources?

BYOB

Bring your own…bag. That’s right – by carrying a reusable shopping bag, you are supporting reducing, reusing, and recycling materials that have already been created. Plus it can take up to 500 years for a plastic bag to biodegrade. Bonus – it doesn’t end up in the ocean!

See something? Do something.

Leaving no trace is one of the best things you can do for your environment. Leave it better than you found it – if you see something on the ground, do your part and pick it up. We all can be better than the last…

Stick to the plan

This includes staying on marked paths, not bothering wildlife, and of course, never feeding animals in the wild. All the above leads to habitat decline, as well as bad consequences for animals if they become reliant on human interaction. This includes not exploiting wildlife (i.e. riding the elephants in Thailand…sorry!)

We have a variety of different internships across disciplines that will allow you to be a green traveller. To learn more send us an email or find your dream program here