Getting a Haircut in Seoul!

Anthony T.

Before coming to Seoul in February, I made sure to get a haircut from my favorite barber back home. 

This week, I finally decided to get my first trim in Korea! The salon I went to was the Juno Hair, near Ewha University. Juno is a chain franchise that has multiple locations across Seoul -- I just went to the Ewha location since it was close to Yonsei.

Initially, I was scared because I did not know if the stylists would give a good haircut or not. But, one of my friends went to this location a week before and her hair turned out great, so I felt more assured. 

Overall, my experience was amazing! I arrived at the salon and talked to my stylist to see what hair style I should go for this time. Since my hair is still curly from my previous perm, she recommended I keep my current style until my curls wear off. After deciding on a style, I was brought to a room to get my hair washed. Then, it was time for the cut! 

The cut was relatively quick -- I think it took less than 30 minutes. Additionally, it was so cheap! Originally, it costs 30,000 won, but if you show your student ID, you get 20% off. I ended up paying about $20 USD.

During the whole process, I was able to converse with the stylist in both English and Korean. She was really friendly and I learned that she is actually going to study abroad in Austrailia this summer so she's trying to practice more English. I offered to help her improve if she helped me improve my Korean. 

In the end, I came out with a fresh cut and a new friend!