The Four S’s of Study Abroad in Cape Town, South Africa

Get ready for jam-packed blocks when you come to CIEE Global Institute – Cape Town! They’re filled with engaging academics, valuable volunteering opportunities, and immersive study tours and excursions.

STEM and Sustainability

Cape Town is an excellent place to study STEM and sustainability! Did you know Cape Town is considered one of the eco-friendliest cities in South Africa and has a strong sustainable development program? Choose from courses like Sustainable Agriculture and Food Systems to examine food security in our rapidly changing world or Sustainability and the Anthropocene to explore complex human-environment interactions and ways to create a more sustainable future. You can also discover the tradition, culture, and future of fishing practices in Fisheries Biology and Sustainability or understand the blueprint to a more sustainable future through Sustainable Development in the 21st Century.

There are also plenty of opportunities to learn outside the classroom with immersive academic activities at places like Robben Island, Table Mountain, Cape Peninsula, and Clifton Beach.

Service-Learning

CIEE’s Open Campus Block program lets you move between Global Institutes after each block, for an amazing comparative learning experience. But there are many benefits to completing all three blocks in one location - the first of which is service-learning. Service-learning allows you to work with a local community organization and build a research-based action plan that addresses and solves a challenge the organization is facing. The matching process is highly individualized and goal-oriented for each student, and alumni consistently rate their service-learning experience as a “major program highlight.”

Study Tours

Our incredible study tours – designed to complement your coursework – enhance both your academics and intercultural learning. These 3-day/2-night excursions take you to another area of your host country where you can immerse yourself in the local culture and deepen your understanding of its heritage and history. Students have ventured into the Cape Winelands region and gained firsthand insight into the wine industry; traveled to Sutherland for stargazing and the astronomy observatory; and visited the South Peninsula Biome to explore the region’s incredible indigenous flora and fauna.

There’s one final S you’ll discover during study abroad in Cape Town – Spectacular.

Learn more about our Cape Town Open Campus Block program!