First Day of Freedom

Jacklin K.

“We’re in Seoul!” “We’re in Seoul!?” “We’re in Seoul….”  As the quarantine hotel doors swung open, releasing a blast of cold winter air onto my face, I was filled with mixed feelings. Excitement, confusion, worry… my sense of time had disappeared during quarantine and it was hard to believe that the study abroad experience I had been looking forward to for the past 2 years was finally beginning. As I fought back my temptation to dash into the KBBQ restaurant next door, in hopes of recovering my palette from our lukewarm quarantine meals, it suddenly hit me that freedom came with a price. I actually had to plan things now. With no plan, no covid test result, and no way to get to the dorm, I started to regret all of the wasted hours I spent lazing away during quarantine. 

Luckily, CIEE helped us get transportation from the quarantine hotel to SK Global, our home for the next 4 months. Since we couldn’t enter the dorm without a negative test result, we ended up going to Myeongdong on a whim, as we had heard the currency exchange shops there offered the best rates in Seoul. Additionally, my friend and I had visited Seoul a few years back, and we had fond memories of Myeongdong. From its bustling alleyways filled with cheap clothing to its street vendors selling every street food imaginable, Myeongdong seemed like the perfect place to start our Korean adventure. Contrary to our expectations, Myeondong during covid was a ghost town. A few lonely street vendors were scattered along the street in front of empty buildings with “out of business signs”. The neighborhood was no longer the tourist shopping mecca it once was before the pandemic. 

Contrary to our expectations and the disappointment we felt when first entering the neighborhood, Myeongdong was still filled with things to see and do. For lunch, we went to Myeongdong Kyoja, a Kalguksu and Mandu restaurant. The restaurant is Michelin rated and it’s easy to see why, it is still one of the best meals I’ve had in Korea. No Kalguksu or Mandu I’ve had so far can compare, and I’m definitely going back to eat their food again. We then did some window shopping and were pleasantly surprised to see how affordable the souvenirs and trinkets were. Many major brands, like Nike and SPAO, also have large branches in the area, and Olive Young actually has its flagship store there. Additionally, Shinsegae, a major department store, is also located in the area. Although the majority of things they sell there are more on the pricey side, there’s a great hall in the basement that I’d recommend! 

The area definitely had a less “touristy” vibe and it was nice to see it revert to an area that locals can enjoy as well. While Myeongdong may no longer be the chaotic shopping street that many of us remember it as there’s still so much to discover and it's definitely worth a visit (I’d go back just for the food :) ).