Finding your own adventure: Things to do in Accra

Kamil H.

The University of Ghana as the leading university in the country is a fascinating place to visit for study. Situated in Legon and minutes away from the capital city of Accra, the food, culture, and people here are enough to make anyone excited. But, for those worried that once they get over their culture shock they will be swallowed by the routine of everyday life here are some of the ways to get involved and find adventure in the city.

Chalewote Street Art Festival

The Chalewote Street Art Festival is a week-long festivity at the end of August. Located in the James Town section of the city the main street is shut down by a flood of art, performance, and creativity. Walking through the crowded streets I enjoyed seeing a wide array of traditional Ghanaian and modern sculpture, paintings, beading, clothing, and other crafts. Artists painted huge live murals for spectators to view displaying the pride of Ghanaians and other Black peoples throughout history. The live dance and spoken word, the sounds of children playing, and the smell of cooking plantain fill the air in a comfortable artistic atmosphere.      

W.E.B. Du Bois Centre for Pan-African Culture

The W.E.B. Du Bois Center, established in 1985 and located on the former estate of W.E.B Du Bois. Du Bois was an African American academic, civil rights activist, and Pan-Africanist who worked closely with Ghana’s first president Kwame Nkrumah. The compound contains Du Bois’ former home turned museum, an event venue and a guest house for visiting scholars. Located in Accra traveling there by taxi or trotro is quite simple. Once there visitors can receive a guided tour of Du Bois’ Ghana home, learn his personal history, and enjoy looking at artifacts from his life including his personal book collection containing over 1,000 books. All for just 7 Ghana cedis. Going to the compound left me with a sense of wonder at such recent history, and a newfound appreciation of the collaboration between Du Bois and so many prominent Black activist and scholars.  

Accra Zoo

The Accra Zoo is located in the National Forest, Achimota, a forest preserve in the middle of the city. For 20 Ghana cedis, zoo visitors receive a guided tour learning the animal’s nicknames, ages, and fun facts about their species. If your tour guide permits you can even feed and touch a few animals. I thoroughly enjoyed seeing animals that are not found in typical American Zoos but are instead native to the African continent. For instance, you will find camels, emus, peacocks, and more. It was easy to tell the handlers cared deeply for the animals in their care.   

Finding smaller events

Aside from large festivals, museums and other places marked for visitors it’s great to be able to find more niche activities to do during your time in Accra. I had the pleasure of going to see the new Ghanaian movie Lucky with friends one weekend when we were struggling to find things to do. The movie was in English and Twi making it not only a hilarious comedy but a chance to learn more about Ghanaian culture. Looking through flyers on the University of Ghana campus I’ve also been able to attend many Pan-African events after traveling to the Du Bois museum that examine the legacy of Kwame Nkrumah and his works, even meeting his daughter Samia Nkrumah in the process. 

Overall,  I encourage any study abroad student to step outside of their comfort zone and venture off campus. True cultural immersion happens out in the streets of the bustling city not just in your classes.