Finding Beautiful Cafés in Seoul

Lydia O.

One of the best things about studying abroad in Seoul is being able to visit charming cafés! “Café-hopping” culture is a large part of social life here in Korea. To study, or simply to talk to friends, students will spend hours going from one café to another! Almost everyday I discover a different café with refreshing milk tea or delicious pastries. Visiting a café after dinner is a pleasant end to each day, and on weekends I usually spend most of the day studying in one. Many of the cafés in Seoul are picture-perfect for social media and generally provide a bright, happy ambiance. Some popular areas such as Myeongdong or Hongdae have countless wonderful cafés, but some of the best cafés are hidden away in tiny side streets. Here are several of the best cafés I have found in different areas of Seoul.

Photo for blog post Finding Beautiful Cafés in Seoul

In Hongdae: Dr. Althea Café

Dr.Althea is a popular skincare brand, and on the second floor of its Hongdae store is a beautiful café. This café has an incredible, bright and open aesthetic, complete with a wall of earrings you can browse and ​glimmering chandeliers. The lattes and milk tea were lovely, and they tasted great! Once you finish lounging in the café, you can visit the lower level's medium-sized clothing boutique to shop. 

In Gangnam: Café Myulla

In my opinion, Gangnam has the best cafés and dessert shops! They can be a bit pricey, but the quality is incredible. One of the best places I have visited in Gangnam was Café Myulla. My friend and I heard how good it was online but we were not prepared for just how incredible everything tasted. The tiramisu felt like a cloud, and tasted heavenly. The chai lattes were the perfect mix of spice and cream. The entire café looks like a greenhouse. It’s a perfect place to go for a mood boost.

In Myeongdong: Innisfree Café

Myeongdong is well known for good shopping and pretty cafés. If you need a break from trying on clothes and sampling street food, the Innisfree café is a perfect stop. Innisfree is a popular makeup brand in Korea, with nature themed products and minimalist packaging. The nature café on the top level of the Myeongdong Innisfree store has delicious yet light food and drinks. The café also has vegetarian and vegan options. I tried the pancakes and I do not think I can explain how good they were in words. The pieces of fruit, jam, and whipped butter that came with the pancakes all tasted like candy. You cannot visit Seoul without stopping in here.

In Sinchon: Café Moonbear

Located conveniently close to Yonsei University, and only a few minutes from the Sk Global dorm, Café Moonbear offers a calm ambiance and delicious treats. While the cafés I listed above usually require a subway trip, the ease of walking to Café Moonbear makes it all the more delicious. After a long day of studying it's the perfect treat. The milk tea had a pleasant, rich flavor and the german chocolate pastries curbed my sweet tooth. It is impossible not to relax in this café, with dim lights, comfy chairs and flickering candles.