FALL 2017 DIPLOMACY AND POLICY STUDIES PROGRAM ISSUE I

Middle East Studies

CIEE Amman

The Golden Triangle Trip

On a normal day at my university in America I wake up, get showered and dressed, eat breakfast, go to class, eat lunch, go to class, maybe go to another class, go to a meeting, get dinner, do homework, go to bed, and do it all over again. In one weekend, during the Golden Triangle trip, I visited a world wonder and climbed 1000 steps to the top of a monastery. I stargazed, camped, rode camels and 4x4s, played soccer, dubka-ed, and drank Bedouin tea all in the deserts of Wadi Rum. And I got to swim with the fish and dance in the middle of the Red Sea. In my wildest dreams I don’t think I would’ve imagined that I of all people would ever have the opportunity to do such a thing. I never thought I get to experience the world like that and it may have been one of the best weekends of my life, thus far. 

Vruti Venkatesan / George Washington University

First Week in Amman

My first week in Amman was a culture shock of cheap falafel, embattled taxi rides, and being in a consistent state of awe at the city of Amman. Whether it was climbing up the steep and slippery steps of the Amphitheater and listening to peers below singing “Despacito,” sampling a fig that a fellow student shook down a tree for, or worrying about the foreboding placement test, week one of study abroad was a whirlwind of excitement and information. Now, although I am four weeks into the program and still attempting to convey to taxi drivers that I will not pay eight dinar for a ten minute taxi ride, I am still breathlessly discovering the city that I will continue to call home for the next three months.

Lili Abraham / George Washington University

Kanafeh Baking with Cultural Buddies

Knafih

As one of our cultural activities this month, we got the chance to observe and participate in what has now become my favorite Jordanian dessert, Kanafeh! Our Jordanian cultural buddies from Princess Sumaya University for Technology (PSUT) joined us, giving us the chance to get to know them better as we bonded over this delicious sweet. We learned that there are two types of Kanafeh, Kanafeh Khishnah (which is crunchier) and Kanafeh Na’ama (which is softer). Both types are cooked in a large pan and have the basic ingredients of sugar syrup, a soft white cheese, but Kanafeh Khishnah is made with small thin noodles, whereas Kanafeh Na’ama is made with semolina dough. To top it off, both types are sprinkled and topped with pistachios. Everybody left full and happy from this wonderful experience of learning about this delicious typical dessert here and sharing more memories with our cultural buddies!

Ellissa Goldberg / Tulane University of Louisiana

My Favorite Place in Amman

Similar to many millennials, I find myself fascinated by anything aesthetically pleasing. It’s for something as simple as this that I found myself in love with Books@Cafe from the moment I set foot there. From the moment you walk in, you are engulfed by the smell of books. The café carries some of the most interesting books, both fiction and nonfiction, that I’ve ever seen. The covers of the books alone bring color to the room, not to mention how well decorated the small bookshop is to begin with. Then as you round the corner and head up the stairs, the café just seems to get larger and larger. There’s a patio on either side, allowing that bright Jordanian sun to shine through and numerous chairs set up, eagerly awaiting the young crowd that seems to frequent the shop. The walls are brightly painted and the staff is incredibly kind. The atmosphere was just so welcoming and comforting, not only did I find it a great place to study, but it made me start to really realize that I do live in Amman, Jordan and just got me more excited for the months to come.