Have a Sweet Tooth? Jordan Has You Covered.

Middle East Studies

Elysse G.

Jordanian cuisine is rich and diverse, and the country's desserts are no exception. From sweet and sticky pastries to delicate floral-infused cakes, Jordanian desserts are a must-try for any foodie. Here are five of the best Jordanian desserts:

1. Knafeh

Knafeh is a sweet and savory dessert that's made from shredded phyllo dough, cheese, and a syrup made from rose water and orange blossom water. The dish is topped with crushed pistachios and is typically served warm. Knafeh is a popular dessert in Jordan, especially during holidays and special occasions.

2. Qatayef

Qatayef is a sweet and delicate pastry that's typically filled with a mixture of cheese or nuts and drizzled with syrup. The pastry is shaped like a half-moon and can be fried or baked. Qatayef is a popular dessert during the Muslim holiday of Ramadan.

3. Halawet El-Jibn

Halawet El-Jibn is a cheese pastry that's filled with a creamy semolina and clotted cream mixture and drizzled with syrup. The pastry is typically garnished with pistachios and served cold.

4. Maamoul

Maamoul is a popular pastry in Jordan and throughout the Middle East. It's a small, delicate cookie that's filled with dates, nuts, or a mixture of both. Maamoul is often dusted with powdered sugar and is typically served during holidays and special occasions.

5. Awameh

Awameh is a popular Jordanian street food that's made from fried dough balls that are drizzled with syrup. The dough is typically flavored with cardamom and cinnamon and can be garnished with sesame seeds or coconut flakes.

Jordanian desserts are a delicious and unique blend of flavors and textures that are sure to satisfy any sweet tooth!