Exploring Prague's Hidden Gems: Novy Svet

Central European Studies

Rachel M.

Tucked away from Prague Castle is Novy Svet, a hidden gem and picturesque neighborhood in Hradcany (the Castle District). Novy Svet (which loosely translates to "The New World") is a historic residential area that dates all the way back to the 14th century. The narrow cobblestone streets are lined with colorful houses and cozy cafes, making it a quiet and perfect escape from the crowded Prague Castle. 

I ventured to Novy Svet during a field trip for my Photography class at Charles University. I jumped on the opportunity to take a class at Charles, in addition to my CIEE classes, and I am definitely glad I did. The photography class has allowed me to diversify my courses and meet new international and abroad students. I certaintly wouldn't have discovered Novy Svet if my professor didn't take us there!

Photo for blog post Exploring Prague's Hidden Gems: Novy Svet
The colorful houses lining the streets of Novy Svet.
Sit down and enjoy a coffee at Kavarná Novy Svet.
Romantik Hotel U Raka, a quaint hotel in the corner of Novy Svet.
Climb up the steps in Novy Svet and you'll find a fantastic view of the Castle District with the Petrin Tower in the back.

If you're planning on visiting the Castle, make sure you walk a little further and explore the beautiful, hidden village of Novy Svet!