Exploring the Magnificent Cathedral of Palma de Mallorca (by Clara Copano)

CIEE Palma

The Cathedral of Palma de Mallorca, or La Seu, as it's locally known, is a majestic structure on the Spanish island of Mallorca that offers an awe-inspiring journey through time and architecture. 

Located in the heart of Palma, the capital of Mallorca, this Gothic masterpiece is considered one of the largest Gothic churches in Spain and is a testament to the skill and artistry of its builders. Its construction began in the 13th century, and its design and stunning stained-glass windows continue to captivate visitors to this day.

One of the highlights of the Cathedral is its rose window, known as the "Eye of the Gothic". This remarkable work of art is a must-see, especially during the Festival of the Light, a unique event that occurs only twice a year (on February 2 and November 11), when the setting sun aligns perfectly with the rose window, illuminating the entire cathedral with a breathtaking play of light and shadow that dances across the interior. When you visit La Seu during the Festival of the Light, you'll witness the cathedral in a different, almost mystical light.

Inside, the Cathedral is filled with rich history, and its chapels and altarpieces hold treasures that tell stories of faith, royalty, and the island's history. Visiting this cathedral is like stepping into a living history book, where every stone and statue has a tale to share.

Whether you're an architecture enthusiast, a history buff, or simply a traveler eager to explore the world, when you visit La Seu take the time to walk through the surrounding Parc de la Mar. This tranquil park offers a beautiful view of the cathedral against the backdrop of the Mediterranean Sea, making it the perfect spot to reflect on the beauty of Mallorca.

The Cathedral of Mallorca is a place that will leave you in awe. Its grandeur and historical significance make it a cultural gem not to be missed during your stay in Palma!