Explore Cape Town Vineyards and Earn Credits in J-term!

January in Cape Town

It may sound too good to be true. But it's actually 100% real.

Bring your sommelier skills to the beautiful, diverse city of Cape Town and engage in hands-on learning in The Economics of Wine, a three-week, three-credit program!

Through in-class lectures, debates, fun activities, film screenings, and of course, visits to majestic wine farms, you’ll gain firsthand insight into the wine industry in South Africa and more specifically, the Cape Town region. Through an immersive and experientially-based approach, you’ll explore basic knowledge about the key factors in the production of wine making, including relevance of a vineyard’s natural environment, grape growing, fermentation, sustainability, and how the history of winemaking in South Africa remains tied to apartheid-era labor policies. You’ll also get a taste of the best food and wine pairings.

While your peers are watching the clock, dealing with cold weather, and waiting for the spring semester to kick in, you’ll be getting fresh air in the great outdoors and enjoying the glorious South Africa summer.

Come away with a true understanding of the culture with excursions, including a walking tour of historic sites in the Cape Town Central Business District, visits to local communities like the Bo-kaap and Langa, local rugby or cricket matches, and a trip to the Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens for an open-air concert. Cheers!

Learn more!