Copenhagen: The #1 Place to Travel in 2019

Study abroad in Copenhagen and find out why Lonely Planet named it the best place to visit in 2019. Is it the old-world charm? Cosmopolitan character? Here’s our take on why Denmark’s capital is turning heads and getting noticed … 

IT’S IN ONE OF THE WORLD’S HAPPIEST COUNTRIES

It’s no secret, Denmark ranks among the top 10 happiest countries in the world. A high standard of living, free education system, free health care, and balanced work/play lifestyle all add up to happy! 

MANY DANES SPEAK ENGLISH

The local language is Danish, but a remarkable number of Danes speak English. A huge plus of studying abroad in and traveling around Copenhagen is that no matter where you go, you can speak with the locals effortlessly. Note: signage is rarely posted in English, so be sure to ask for help at stores, or while finding your way around town.

Photo for blog post Copenhagen: The #1 Place to Travel in 2019

THE SCENIC VIEWS ARE EVERYTHING

Copenhagen is stunning. From the city’s pristine waterways, to its modernist lamps, to the many castles and bell towers, Copenhagen is a feast for the eyes. Visit Nyhavn, Copenhagen’s waterfront, canal, and entertainment district that features iconic brightly colored townhouses that line the harbor. 

Then there’s Tivoli Gardens, the second-oldest amusement park in the world. Nestled right in the city, Tivoli Gardens offers rides, games, concerts, ballet, and musicals. Fun fact: Walt Disney visited Tivoli Gardens in 1951 and was so inspired by its lush gardens, rides, and food that – four years later – he opened California’s Disneyland.

ONE OF THE WORLD’S GREENEST CITIES

When you think green, think Copenhagen! This eco-friendly city is hard at work becoming a sustainable place to work and live.  It’s also rated the most bike-friendly city in the world. In fact, you can cycle from one end of the city to the other in 20 minutes and over half of the population commutes by bike along the city’s 250 miles of bike lanes. The city aims to be the world’s first carbon-neutral capital by 2025.

Copenhagen also thrives on organic produce, open spaces, green oases, and clean water. The Copenhagen Harbor is probably one of the only harbors clean enough to swim in. 

This is just a snapshot of what to expect studying abroad in Copenhagen. There is so much more to discover in this Scandinavian jewel! 

Search Copenhagen programs