Campania - Rome Study Tour

FALL BLOCK I - CAMPANIA

This Study Tour will take us to Italy’s southern Campania region. Once a thriving and sophisticated Roman city, Pompeii was buried under meters of ash and pumice after the catastrophic eruption of Mount Vesuvius in 79 A.D. The objects that lay beneath the city have been preserved for more than a millennium because of the long lack of air and moisture. These artifacts provide an extraordinarily detailed insight into the life of a city during the Pax Romana. Today Pompeii has UNESCO World Heritage Site status and is one of the most popular tourist attractions in Italy.

The Amalfi Coast is a 50-kilometer stretch of coastline along the southern edge of Italy’s Sorrentine Peninsula. Its sheer cliffs and rugged shoreline, dotted with small beaches and pastel-colored fishing villages, are iconic. The coastal road between the port city of Salerno and clifftop Sorrento winds past grand villas, terraced vineyards, and cliffside lemon groves. Amalfi is a town that lies at the mouth of a deep ravine, at the foot of Monte Cerreto, surrounded by dramatic cliffs and coastal scenery. The town of Amalfi was the capital of the maritime republic known as the Duchy of Amalfi, an important trading power in the Mediterranean between 839 and around 1200. Amalfi is the main town of the coast on which it is located, named Costiera Amalfitana (Amalfi Coast), and is today an important tourist destination, recognized also as a UNESCO World Heritage Site.

FREE TIME SUGGESTIONS 

Check-out the romantic Cloister of San Francisco, built on the remains of a monastery dating back to the 7th century and renovated in various occasions, thus showing a stunning composition of historical and architectural layers.

Read more about the amazing study tour!