Buddha's Birthday and Lantern Festival

Grace S.

In countries where Buddhism is strong, like South Korea, Buddha's birthday is a nationally celebrated holiday. This year, I decided to take part in the festivities by attending a cheer rally, lantern parade, and street fair. The cheer rally took place at a university in Seoul and it consisted of pep-rally like activites. Groups of local performers went onto the university's field to perform for Buddhist monks and an audience, and the rally ended with a prayer ceremony. That night was the lantern festival, which was my absolute favorite part. Korean traditional music played, dancers danced, people carried lanterns, and massive floats that lit up like lanterns travelled down the main stretch of Jongno-ro. The lanterns, songs, and dance were so beautiful, and I was in complete awe at how goregous the procession was. Immediately after the parade was a performance, where Korean singers performed arirang and other folk songs/dances. There were demonstrators on stage, and the crowd followed along with them as we sang and danced the traditional music together, confetti resembling lotus blossoms falling all around us. The next day, the lanterns and floats from the parade were put on display in Insadong, and a large street fair was held near the area's Buddhist temple. Lanterns decorated the area, and it was once again beautiful. Buddha's Birthday festivities were one of my favorite cultural activities I have taken part in while studying abroad in South Korea, and I hope you can participate in it too!