Best Time to Buy an International Plane Ticket to Europe

Just because you want to study abroad in Europe doesn’t mean your plane ticket has to break the bank. There are ways to maneuver through the many travel options available and come away with a great price on a plane ticket, even if your destination is across the Atlantic Ocean. A recent study by Cheapair.com reveals a few simple truths about air travel that could save you a bundle.

Photo for blog post Best Time to Buy an International Plane Ticket to Europe

The best time to book a flight to Europe is Tuesday or Wednesday in the afternoon or just after midnight. Prices tend to be more expensive on Mondays and in the mornings because business travelers are buying tickets through their companies’ accounts. 

The prime booking window is between three to five months. The longer you wait, the more the fares will jump, especially during the summer months. If you plan to participate in a summer program, definitely book your ticket as soon as possible.

Take the time to research this region. Europe offers numerous budget airlines, so don’t be afraid to fly into a different city, explore, and then head to your program destination. Also, look into the local and school holidays of the country to avoid overpaying, like these holidays in Madrid. Keep an eye out on local events and festivals that will attract an international audience, too.

Additional tips:

• Use a flight app and get notifications so you’re always alert on the best deals. Download Jetradar, Skyscanner, Hopper, or Kiwi - all available on Apple and Android devices.
  • If you’re researching prices on a computer, delete your cookies and history after every search so you’ll get served the most up-to-date price.
  • Start saving for your trip sooner rather than later. Find 9 money-saving tips here.
  • If you’re Pell-eligible, you’re guaranteed a Global Access Initiative (GAIN) Travel Grant that covers up to $2,000 toward airfare to and from your program location! Learn more here.

Study Abroad Programs in Europe