ADVANCED LIBERAL ARTS PROGRAM, ISSUE II

Advanced Liberal Arts

José Luis Martínez

NewsletterBannerSeville686x101

Carolyn Siegman, Macalester College, and Molly Astarita, Wartburg College, during our Info&Pizza session

Did you know that the University of Seville used to be a tobacco factory? This is the first question most people in Seville ask visitors and one of the first things students learn about the university.

'Historia de la Real Fábrica de Tabacos de Sevilla'  de José Manuel Rodríguez Gordillo

Photo: Historia de la Real Fábrica de Tabacos de Sevilla, by José Manuel Rodríguez Gordillo

The Advanced Liberal Program students are enjoying the first days of spring in Seville after their CIEE midterm exams -- they did very well! After the first month, students had already adapted to the Spanish educational system and their classes.

The students at the University of Seville are fortunate enough to study in one of the most impressive and historic buildings in the city: the Royal Tobacco Factory where the well-known opera "Carmen" takes place.

'Historia de la Real Fábrica de Tabacos de Sevilla'  de José Manuel Rodríguez Gordillo (2)

During these weeks, we have individual sessions with each student to review how their semester is going in terms of housing, academics, cultural immersion, language, and general experience. Some of the students are currently participating in tutorial sessions. We've added new students to the tutors list, and they are already helping students with their courses.

Students

Georgetown students (Glenna Roberts and Neville Palmer) visiting Madrid

In addition, some students are already taking advantage of the cultural reimbursement program, taking trips throughout Spain: San Sebastian, Madrid, Ronda, and Barcelona. As part of our program activities, we will also take a trip to Granada. This will be a nice opportunity for us to spend time together!

MargaretC

Shannon Peters (Barnard College), Margaret Crownower (Georgetown students) and a friend of them in Madrid