5 Study Abroad Programs to Shake Up Your Summer

Photo for blog post 5 Study Abroad Programs to Shake Up Your Summer

Everything’s Bueno in Buenos Aires

On the hunt for an artsy city to earn credits and develop your Spanish language skills? Look no further than Buenos Aires – a city that offers everything under the sun! Explore dynamic neighborhoods like La Boca – the birthplace of tango; eat your fill of delicious empanadas and sweet alfajores; ascend the 22 floors of Palacio Barolo on a clear day for an unforgettable view all the way to Uruguay; study in the brand new CIEE Buenos Aires Global Institute – conveniently located near the city’s nicest parks, restaurants, cafés, and shops! Summer in Buenos Aires, Argentina. 

Discover Rhythm in Dakar

You’re in for a treat with a summer abroad in Senegal’s vibrant port city, Dakar. This West African gem is known as the city of rhythm, where the sounds of reggae, pop, and djembe drum will have you moving to the beat in no time. Depending on your language skills, take classes in English or French on Senegalese history, politics, and religion; get your surf on with some of Africa’s most consistent waves at any of 15 prime locations along the peninsula; head to Marché Kermel in the historical town center to shop for souvenirs and pick up accara (crispy black-eyed-bean fritters) at a food stall. Explore Africa!

Blast into the Past in Historic Havana

In Havana, your study abroad experience will be equal parts historical and tropical. This 500-year-old city is known for its colonial architecture, 1950s-era American vehicles, and cobblestone streets. By day, study history, arts, politics, and public health. By night, dance in seaside clubs to the best salsa bands in the world. Attend one of Havana’s many summer festivals; explore the city’s vibrant art scene; practice conversational Spanish language skills; stroll through Old Havana to visit the city’s most important landmarks, like Plaza Vieja and Catedral de San Cristobal. Explore Latin America!

Study Abroad in the World’s Belly Button

The 3,000-year-old city of Cusco is known as the ombligo del mundo (navel of the world) by Peruvians – mainly because it was the center of the Inca empire from 1400 to 1534. Today, this archaeological capital is an incredible city rich with culture, history, and natural beauty. Study science, social sciences, and/or Spanish language; hike through the breathtaking Sacred Valley; observe one of the seven wonders of the world - the ancient city of Machu Picchu; shop at local markets for the finest alpaca knits; take a selfie with a llama. Explore Latin America!

Explore Gothic Grit and Glamour in Lisbon

Spend your summer navigating Portugal’s dynamic coastal capital city, Lisbon. This seaside paradise features white-domed cathedrals, cobbled alleyways, ancient ruins, and fresh seafood like octopus, tuna, shrimp, and snails. Explore Portuguese culture, history, and traditions by living with a host family; wander through the winding streets of the Alfama District; wonder at the gothic architecture of Torre de Belém; eat your way through the city with treats like pasteis de nata (puff pastries with custard) and francesinha (a meat sandwich wrapped in cheese with fries and a fried egg). Summer in Lisbon, Portugal.

EXPLORE ALL SUMMER PROGRAMS!