12 Hours In Madrid

Fikir L.

Choice Overload. 

That's exactly what I felt when I touched down in Madrid last January. 

It felt like I had stepped into a whole new world of possibilities, and I so desparately wanted to visit every touristy attraction (but also visit all the lowkey, underground places only locals know about), try every top-rated restaurant the city had to offer (but also not neglect the niche street food places I passed on the way home everyday), and just do everything in my capacity to squeeze out every bit of fun and enjoyment I could in 6 weeks. 

I don't think you can ever truly be satisfied exploring such a beautiful, culture-rich city as Madrid, but let's start with a day. Here's my itinerary for a 10-hour day I had with my friends in Madrid: 

10:00-12:00 PM You definitely can't start the day without breakfast (especially not today, we have a packed day!) I loved the French Toast at EatMyTrip in Malasaña -- 10/10 recommend if you're feeling something sweet. 

12:30-2:00 PM If you're a Money Heist fan like me, you'll definitely have to stop by Banco de España, the rooftop at the School of Aeronautical and Space Engineering (ETSIAE), at no. 3 in Calle del Cardenal Cisneros in Madrid, Plaza de Callao, and all the other filming locations/places associated with the show. Don't forget pictures -- your friends back home are going to want to hear about it. 

2:30-4:00 PM Next, stop by El Retiro Park, a gorgeous place to get some rowboating done, buy some street art and souvenirs and take some pictures. I'd definitely recommend going with a friend so you can take turns rowing the boat (trust me, your arms will get tired). 

4:30-6:00 PM Next, replenish yourself and take a well-deserved break and eat at OVen Mozzarella Bar. My friends and I treated ourselves to some pasta here on definitely more than one occasion. 

6:30-8:00 PM The views at El Templo Debod are unforgettable so I would definitelly make time to go if I were in your shoes again. Go during golden hour -- the sunsets are breathtaking and the cool air at the top of the grounds feels great after hiking for about half a mile. 

8:30-10:00 PM Finally, end the day with dinner and a show! My friends and I went to Las Carboneras to see a traditional flamenco show and it was incredible. It was held in a small, intimate venue making it super easy to see the performers and interact with them. Swing by for a late night snack (some wine and cheese) while witnessing a show full of passionate dancing and breathtaking guitar skills. 

Feel free to mix and match parts of this day to fit your schedule and simply use my itinerary as inspo. Have so much fun! 

Explore Madrid