Information for term Summer Intensive Spanish Language
Application deadline, and cost information.
Application DeadlineApril 1, 2019
Program Deadlines and Pricing Info
- Deadline: April 1, 2019
- Dates: May 20 – Jul 15, 2019 (8 weeks)
- Credit: 10 semester hours / 15 quarter hours
- Eligibility: 2.5 Overall GPA
OverviewClick to Open
Improve your language skills in the beautiful coastal city of Alicante, where you’ll immerse yourself in the sounds of Spanish all day long by living with a host family. You’ll get a taste of Spanish life on the Mediterranean coast too. Spend free time having conversations on the beach, watching the palm trees sway, and exploring sea caves.
Take an overnight educational language study tour
to one of the most emblematic cities in Spain.
Immerse yourself in the culture
by living with a Spanish family.
Find the perfect level of Spanish
instruction for your needs.
people fly into Alicante every year9M
tons of rice produced each year115,000
marble tiles make up the Explanada de Espana promenade6.6M
Location & CultureClick to Open
A picturesque town on the Costa Blanca of Spain, Alicante boasts huge plazas, wonderful parks, stunning beaches, and a rich culture. It’s also experienced a development boom recently — along with rapid population growth. Mingle with the locals as you explore modern architecture, historic buildings, and shopping malls next to centuries-old open-air markets, all with a distinct Spanish flavor.
EXCURSIONS & ACTIVITIES
- Visit Valencia, Madrid, or Granada on an overnight trip.
- Take a day trip to the Alicante Province or the Valencian Autonomous Community.
- Go on guided tours of monuments and museums in Alicante.
- Participate in intramural activities, nature and hiking activities, cooking and dance classes, cinema, and theater.
- Extracurricular Activities: are the perfect way to make friends with Spanish students, perfect your Spanish language skills, and have fun. Play sports, go on nature excursions, and take advantage of cultural events in the city. They will help you improve your language skills.
Daily LifeClick to Open
Homestays: Students live in Spanish-speaking homes, where they are considered a member of the family with the same rights and responsibilities as other family members. Homestays are located throughout the Alicante downtown metropolitan area – anywhere within a maximum 30-minute commute to CIEE via public transport.
All meals are included.
Where You'll Study
CIEE STUDY CENTER
A maximum of 30 minutes away from homestays, via public transportation.
UNIVERSIDAD DE ALICANTE
Three miles from the city center.
Public transportation options make it easy to get around the city.
What People are Saying
Everything was great, but for sure one of the most memorable and important experiences I have would be my relationship with my host mother. She has given me the opportunity to have the most memorable times in Spain, and I know that I will definitely be back in Spain just to visit her and her family if for nothing else!Magda, Temple University, Summer 16
Like what you're seeing so far?request more information
Program DetailsClick to Open
What you need to knowThe program details
Study at CIEE Alicante, located next to the Faculty of Education and one of the residence halls on the northwest extension of the Universidad del Alicante main campus in San Vicente. This location provides students direct access to university facilities.
Courses are taught by faculty specialized in the field of teaching Spanish as a second language.
CIEE classes are in Spanish.
AcademicsClick to Open
Students must have an overall GPA of at least 2.5.
- Total credit: 10 semester/15 quarter hours per session
- Contact hours: 150.
Students are required to enroll in three Spanish language classes at their level.
Note: This course listing is for informational purposes only and does not constitute a contract between CIEE and any applicant, student, institution, or other party. The courses, as described, may be subject to change as a result of ongoing curricular revisions, assignment of lecturers and teaching staff, and program development. Courses may be canceled due to insufficient enrollment.
Summer 2019 CoursesClick to Open
Note: This course listing is for informational purposes only and does not constitute a contract between CIEE and any applicant student, institution, or other party. The courses, as described, may be subject to change as a result of ongoing curricular revisions, assignment of lecturers and teaching staff, and program development. Courses may be canceled due to insufficient enrollment.
Students are placed into one of several language levels depending on their number of semesters of Spanish. Each level has three required classes.
REQUIRED BEGINNING SPANISH COURSES (0-1 SEMESTERS OF SPANISH)
- SPAN 1001 ALIL: Begining Spanish Grammar and Syntax
- SPAN 1002 ALIL: Begining Oral Communication in Spanish
- SPAN 1003 ALIL: Begining Written Expression in Spanish
REQUIRED INTERMEDIATE COURSES (2-3 SEMESTERS OF SPANISH)
- SPAN 2001 ALIL: Intermediate Spanish Grammar and Syntax
- SPAN 2002 ALIL: Intermediate Oral Communication in Spanish
- SPAN 2004 ALIL: Intermediate Spanish Language: Reading and Writing through Spanish Media
REQUIRED PRE-ADVANCED COURSES (3-4 SEMESTERS OF SPANISH
- SPAN 3001 ALIL: Pre-Advanced Spanish Grammar
- SPAN 3002 ALIL: Pre-Advanced Conversational Spanish
- SPAN 3003 ALIL: Pre-Advanced Spanish Language. Reading and Writing through Spanish Cinema
REQUIRED ADVANCED COURSES (5 OR MORE SEMESTERS OF SPANISH)
ScholarshipsClick to Open
Scholarships & Grants
CIEE offers more than $8 million in scholarships and grants annually to help students like you make your study abroad dream a reality.
Students who apply to this program are eligible for the following scholarships and grants:
- Ping Scholarships for Academic Excellence
- Global Access Initiative (GAIN) Grants
- CIEE Gilman Go Global Grant
To be considered, submit the CIEE Scholarships & Grants application within your CIEE program application. Learn more at the Scholarships & Grants section of our website.See more scholarship info
Dates, Deadlines & FeesClick to Open
Dates, Deadlines & Fees
You get more for every dollar when you study abroad with CIEE, because our high-quality programs include everything from excursions to insurance. There are no hidden charges, and no disappointing surprises when you arrive.
YOUR FEE INCLUDES:
- Three-day orientation – an introduction to Alicante culture, your academic program, and the city, plus practical information about living in your host city
- Advising before you depart to set goals and answer questions
- Optional on-site airport meet-and-greet
- Full-time program leadership and support in your host city
- Field trips and cultural activities
- Overnight excursions
- Insurance and other travel benefits, with CIEE iNext
- 24/7 emergency on-site support
No Hidden Fees
Fees & Housing
|Summer 2019 8 weeks||Apr 1, 2019||May 20, 2019||Jul 15, 2019||
Click to Close
CIEE offers the most student support of any provider in its program fee, including an airport greeting, full-time leadership and support, orientation, cultural activities, local excursions, pre-departure advising, and CIEE iNext travel insurance with benefits.
Participation Confirmation = $300 *
Educational Costs = $5,843 **
Housing = $1,940 ***
Insurance = $167Total Fees = $8,250
Students are responsible and manage costs related to travel, meals, books, and personal expenses. Below are estimates for consideration.
International Airfare = $1,350 †
Local Transportation = $250
Books & Supplies = $150
Personal expenses = $1,050Total Estimated Costs = $2,800
CIEE offers the most grants and scholarships of any study abroad organization, including $8 million/year in travel grants, merit-based scholarships, institutional and MSI grants, and Gilman Go Global Grants.
This breakdown has been prepared from the program budget for the purpose of calculating eligibility for financial aid. During the course of program operations, actual figures may vary. It should not, therefore, be used as a basis for calculation of refunds. CIEE reserves the right to adjust fees at any time.
Students required to study on CIEE programs through a School of Record will be charged a $500 administrative fee in addition to the Program Fees listed.
** direct cost of education charged uniformly to all students
*** includes all meals
† round-trip based on U.S. East Coast departure
To help you budget, keep in mind that students are responsible for the cost of international airfare, local transportation, books and supplies, visas, and personal expenses. In addition, ask your college or university study abroad advisor if your school charges additional fees for study abroad.
Looking for funding?
Our StaffClick to Open
Get StartedHere's what you need to do to take the next steps:
START AN APPLICATIONApply Now
You're one step closer to an amazing study abroad experience!
CONNECT WITH YOUR CAMPUS STUDY ABROAD OFFICE
Share your plans and confirm you're on track to meet all required steps to go abroad.
Contact an Advisor
Send us an email if you still have questions or need information about applying to this program.