OverviewClick to Open
Gain a highly sought-after skill in the job market when you learn Arabic in the enchanting city of Rabat. You’ll take modern standard and colloquial Arabic courses, then head out into the city to give your new skills a whirl. From bargaining in the medina to visiting fascinating ruins and colonial architecture; from taking part in activities like cooking classes to living with a Moroccan family; we’ll help you experience it all.
See the North African coast,
Casablanca, Chefchaouen, Marrakesh, the village of Ourika, Asilah and Tangiers.
Get Arabic instruction
at just the right level for you.
in real life as you go to museums, NGOs, and cultural events.
Fahrenheit on average in July, Rabat’s hottest month73
year of the city’s founding1146
people living in Rabat3M
Location & CultureClick to Open
Morocco’s capital and second-largest city is home to the country’s most prestigious universities, as well as many international institutions such as UNESCO and the World Bank. Explore the modern and the traditional, from stunning colonial architecture and fascinating ruins to exciting theater and unique art exhibits. Green spaces abound here too, from parks to palm-tree-lined boulevards where you’ll find cafés, restaurants, and shopping centers.
EXCURSIONS & ACTIVITIES
- Visit Rabat’s museums, NGOs, and universities.
- Go on a day trip to Asilah, a 3,500-year-old town on the North African coast that’s been a haven for Phoenicians, pirates, Portuguese, Spanish, Moroccans, and resort-goers.
- Venture to Casablanca, the largest city in Morocco and one of the most important economic centers in Africa.
- Pack a bag for overnight excursions to Chefchaouen, a small town famous for its ubiquitous sky-blue buildings, and Marrakesh, a city in central Morocco built by Amazighs.
- Enjoy cultural activities around Rabat – like calligraphy workshops, visits to the Parliament and other government agencies, cooking classes, live music and pottery making.
- Volunteering: Immerse yourself in Morocco by lending a helping hand to locals in the community – work with descendants of pre-Arab inhabitants of North Africa, hospital patients, visually impaired students, mentally challenged youth, women’s groups, or children from low-income families.
- Peer-to-peer tutoring: CIEE connects you with local Moroccan university students from day one. They’re a part of everyday programming and will help you integrate into Moroccan society.
- Language Partners: Practice and build your language skills by meeting with local Moroccans and discussing topics of common interests.
Program BlogsClick to Open
Daily LifeClick to Open
Homestays: students can choose to live with Arabic-speaking Moroccan families in modern or traditional homes in various neighborhoods throughout Rabat and the outskirts of the city. Families are carefully selected by local CIEE staff members and are matched according to student preferences. Most homes combine Western and traditional Moroccan elements, and families typically are multilingual.
Shared Apartments: Students also have the option of housing in an apartment shared with other program participants.
Homestays: Study abroad host families provide breakfast and dinner on weekdays and weekends.
Shared Apartments: Students staying in an apartment are responsible for all their own meals.
Where You'll Study
AcademicsClick to Open
This rigorous eight-week summer program is designed for students interested in intensive language acquisition to strengthen their Arabic language skills. Students take a Modern Standard Arabic course based on their skill level, as well as a colloquial Moroccan Arabic course, making it easier to connect with the people of Morocco and learn about their way of life. In-class work is augmented with co-curricular visits to the city’s rich variety of cultural institutions and organizations relevant to the course offerings.
All course instructors are natives of Morocco, selected from prominent institutions in Rabat. All courses are taught in Arabic.
CIEE Rabat is located in the prominent neighborhood of Agdal in central Rabat, with easy access to public transportation.
There are no specific language requirements for this program.
Students enroll in two required Arabic Language classes.
Total credit: 10 U.S. semester/15 quarter credits
CIEE courses: 3-7 U.S. semester/4.5-10.5 quarter credits; 45-105 contact hours
Students should expect a more formal classroom environment and take initiative in understanding instructors’ expectations. Classes are typically scheduled Monday through Friday. Students should expect to have daily homework assignments and outings to practice the language.
In addition to classroom instruction time, students are expected to participate in content-based learning activities. These activities will further students’ exposure to Modern Standard Arabic and allow for greater retention of new vocabulary. Classes are with CIEE participants only.
Grades are based on quizzes, exams, attendance, homework assignments/special projects, oral presentations, and class participation.
Language of Instruction
CoursesClick to Open
Summer 2021 CoursesClick to Open
Summer 2021 course offerings and syllabi will available in late fall.
Note: This course listing is for informational purposes only and does not constitute a contract between CIEE and any applicant, student, institution, or other party. The courses, as described, may be subject to change as a result of ongoing curricular revisions, assignment of lecturers and teaching staff, and program development. Courses may be canceled due to insufficient enrollment.
ScholarshipsClick to Open
Scholarships & Grants
CIEE offers more than $8 million in scholarships and grants annually to help students like you make your study abroad dream a reality.
Students who apply to this program are eligible for the following scholarships and grants:
- Ping Scholarships for Academic Excellence
- Global Access Initiative (GAIN) Grants
- CIEE Gilman Go Global Grant
To be considered, submit the CIEE Scholarships & Grants application within your CIEE program application. Learn more at the Scholarships & Grants section of our website.See more scholarship info
Dates & FeesClick to Open
Dates & Fees
You get more for every dollar when you study abroad with CIEE, because our high-quality programs include everything from excursions to insurance. There are no hidden charges, and no disappointing surprises when you arrive.
What's IncludedClick to Open
Our StaffClick to Open
Get StartedHere's what you need to do to take the next steps:
START AN APPLICATIONApply Now
You're one step closer to an amazing study abroad experience!
CONNECT WITH YOUR CAMPUS STUDY ABROAD OFFICE
Share your plans and confirm you're on track to meet all required steps to go abroad.
Send us an email if you still have questions or need information about applying to this program.