The World Cup: A Moment in History

Arabic Language & Culture

Kareena D.

This World Cup has become about much more than fútbol. Morocco’s historic victory over two of its former colonizers, Spain and Portugal has hundreds of millions taking part in adopting the Moroccan team as their own. Red and green flags flap against the wind across the world as Morocco is the first Arab and African country to reach the semi-finals. What we have seen this World Cup is what the tournament should be about— a chance for teams around the world to have equal opportunity to play against some of the most well-known (and well-funded) teams. This has been the most exciting World Cup in years, if not generations. The ridiculous upset of Argentina to Saudi Arabia, followed by Brazil and Portugal’s eliminations have shown this World Cup is anything but traditional. 

The Moroccan team has the most foreign-born players of any team in the World Cup, a nod to the complex dual identities many Moroccans face in European countries and even at home. In 1912, France placed Morocco under a protectorate amid growing political and economic turmoil. Since the country’s independence in 1956, Morocco has struggled with separating France from its cultural and linguistic identity. Many adolescents attend French-speaking schools, and some children speak French before Darija, Morocco’s dialect. It is also the primary language used in universities, making it a necessary facet of life for all Moroccans. Not to mention, France is also Morocco’s largest trading partner as the French language is used for all matters of business, diplomacy, and government. 

Yet despite the complicated political history of Morocco, each player on the national team chose to wear the colors of their homeland on their backs, defiantly proud of their heritage and their religion. As the past twenty years have seen people and politics from the west try to destroy Islam, a religion of peace, the Moroccan team has brought resilience and unity back to the Arab world. By donning the Palestinian flag in their team photos, the Moroccan team has embodied Arab togetherness in the face of a collective struggle. By establishing a common ground with one another in supporting Palestine, Morocco has won the hearts of Muslims around the world.

Regardless of what happens on the field today, hundreds of millions look proudly to Morocco as the nation that made history.

EXPLORE MOROCCO